Sharifc

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2023
First time duck owner here, I have 3 ducklings who've been healthy so far until 3 days ago when one of them stopped eating and started acting very lethargic. As of this morning, she's constantly panting, even though she's in a cool area. She is drinking and pooping, her poop is mainly liquid but has recently been white. I don't know what to do and I'm starting to worry. Is there anything I can do without taking her to a vet? 😢

:welcome

How old is this duckling?
what are you feeding them including treats?
Are they on supplemental niacin?
is she able to walk? any turned in feet or bow leggedness?
Panting can mean over heated or pain.
Have they been outside foraging anyplace where they may have gotten i nto anything toxic?

:welcome

How old is this duckling?
what are you feeding them including treats?
Are they on supplemental niacin?
is she able to walk? any turned in feet or bow leggedness?
Panting can mean over heated or pain.
Have they been outside foraging anyplace where they may have gotten i nto anything toxic?
Thank you for your response!

Roughly 3 weeks

Used to eat duck crumbles for the first two weeks, now eating duck pellets from purina specifically tailored to ducks. (healthy starters included, and I'm now offering her crumbles tailored to ducklings which she's uninterested in as well) She is ABLE to eat them. Watering them down, crushing them, or using her old duck crumbles does not encourage her to eat.

They are not on supplements, they are drinking electrolyte water

She is able to walk and stand but she's very slow. I do think her legs are turned in

Yes they have been outside In the backyard and in the pool supervised. they did this together although I do not believe anything there has been toxic nor has there been pesticides or anything in the plants.

Below are the pictures of the electrolyte water with some food in it showing her panting as well, and in the second picture are her legs.

Attachments

• tempImageiTUqRR.png
    tempImageiTUqRR.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImageHuuNPE.png
    tempImageHuuNPE.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
Thank you for your response!

Roughly 3 weeks

Used to eat duck crumbles for the first two weeks, now eating duck pellets from purina specifically tailored to ducks. (healthy starters included, and I'm now offering her crumbles tailored to ducklings which she's uninterested in as well) She is ABLE to eat them. Watering them down, crushing them, or using her old duck crumbles does not encourage her to eat.

They are not on supplements, they are drinking electrolyte water

She is able to walk and stand but she's very slow. I do think her legs are turned in

Yes they have been outside In the backyard and in the pool supervised. they did this together although I do not believe anything there has been toxic nor has there been pesticides or anything in the plants.

Below are the pictures of the electrolyte water with some food in it showing her panting as well, and in the second picture are her legs.
Also her breathing is rapid and shallow. She will sometimes peck at dried grasshoppers but not too much luck there either.

Since we're not vets we have to do elimination to figure out what is going on. Did you know Niacin deficiency can literally kill them? If not treated.

And since she isn't eating your going to have to start with Liquid B Complex it will treat niacin deficiency and the other B's will help her get her appetite back. Since your saying she is walking slow and her legs are turned in i would def get her started on the Liquid B Complex ASAP. Sometimes they will start responding in less than 3 days. depending on how long it's been going on. This will give you info and how to treat.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
using the liquid b complex get a 1 ml syringe and start with putting drop by drop right inside the bill make sure she swallows. You just have to be careful not to shoot it into their mouth so they don't aspirate.
It could be something else even an infection but the only way I know to find out is to eliminate. If you have any antibiotics laying around let us know what they are.

Last edited:
Since we're not vets we have to do elimination to figure out what is going on. Did you know Niacin deficiency can literally kill them? If not treated.

And since she isn't eating your going to have to start with Liquid B Complex it will treat niacin deficiency and the other B's will help her get her appetite back. Since your saying she is walking slow and her legs are turned in i would def get her started on the Liquid B Complex ASAP. Sometimes they will start responding in less than 3 days. depending on how long it's been going on. This will give you info and how to treat.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
using the liquid b complex get a 1 ml syringe and start with putting drop by drop right inside the bill make sure she swallows. You just have to be careful not to shoot it into their mouth so they don't aspirate.
It could be something else even an infection but the only way I know to find out is to eliminate. If you have any antibiotics laying around let us know what they are.
I have 10 in 1 multivitamin for my dog, and I have amoxycillin. I'm headed to my local tractor supply to grab the liquid B complex so let me know if I should grab anything else while I'm there.

Amoxycline is a good one to have on hand.
Rooster booster "Poultry Cell" very good reviews.

AMOXICILLIN: A good “all purpose” antibiotic that is compatible with many other antibiotics. Amoxicillin is good for wounds of the flesh. It is best used as a *preventative* antibiotic, given before an infection is present. It can be used to treat actual infections that develop, but there are better choices. It comes in capsule form and injectable. Both work well. The oral dosage for Amoxicillin is 5 mg per pound given every 12 hours. The injectable dosage is 4 mg per pound given IM every 12 hours. You can easily obtain the oral version of this drug, labeled for fish, in a product called "Fish-Mox"
Baytril seems to be the go to antibiotic most of us keep on hand it can be ordered from
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

starting in June we will not be able to order antibiotics online or buy them at TSC they are making it so we will have to have a prescription.

Last edited:
Amoxycline is a good one to have on hand.
Rooster booster "Poultry Cell" very good reviews.

AMOXICILLIN: A good “all purpose” antibiotic that is compatible with many other antibiotics. Amoxicillin is good for wounds of the flesh. It is best used as a *preventative* antibiotic, given before an infection is present. It can be used to treat actual infections that develop, but there are better choices. It comes in capsule form and injectable. Both work well. The oral dosage for Amoxicillin is 5 mg per pound given every 12 hours. The injectable dosage is 4 mg per pound given IM every 12 hours. You can easily obtain the oral version of this drug, labeled for fish, in a product called "Fish-Mox"
Baytril seems to be the go to antibiotic most of us keep on hand it can be ordered from
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

starting in June we will not be able to order antibiotics online or buy them at TSC they are making it so we will have to have a prescription.
Is poultry cell and amoxicillin enough or should I grab the liquid b complex as well

Back
Top Bottom