Please help/advise fox killed mother hen, 2 eggs on day 18.

@Robyn Sparkles 13 by the way, you didn't say if the container was closed or not. It does need some ventilation and air exchange, so do not totally close the lid. If it's an old one that you can poke holes in, that would work. If you don't want to ruin a good one, at least keep the lid partially vented.

editing to add - or better yet, just cover it with plastic wrap and poke some small holes in the plastic. :)

but in a pickle situation, winging whatever possible, is at least one chance that the chick didn't have otherwise.
Absolutely!!!

i wish i had seen it used more for hatching
IKR, It worked for Steven tho:D.

I was just wondering on what basis I would choose between a heating pad vs small light bulb if faced with the same issue.

@Robyn Sparkles 13 by the way, you didn't say if the container was closed or not. It does need some ventilation and air exchange, so do not totally close the lid. If it's an old one that you can poke holes in, that would work. If you don't want to ruin a good one, at least keep the lid partially vented.

editing to add - or better yet, just cover it with plastic wrap and poke some small holes in the plastic. :)
Oh I"m glad you mentioned this! The lid was closed in an attempt to increase humidity, but now it's cracked open. We still have a peep this morning :) but no pip. Approaching my best guess for 24 hours soon.

Well I'm not feeling great about viability. No more peeping, no movement. :( I followed the instructions on here about making a very small hole to add air, not giving up yet, but not feeling so hopeful. :(
On the plus side the three newly hatched siblings are doing great!

Well I'm not feeling great about viability. No more peeping, no movement. :( I followed the instructions on here about making a very small hole to add air, not giving up yet, but not feeling so hopeful. :(
On the plus side the three newly hatched siblings are doing great!

oh boy. What about the others? Weren't there a few eggs? Peck the egg with your fingernail. Have you candled it?

by the way, a fox got a young rooster of mine last weekend. I actually saw the fox, but only had a pistol and he got too far away for me to shoot. Well my neighbor killed the $*&@*$ last night, it was going at his dogs. :ya tiny victories!

oh boy. What about the others? Weren't there a few eggs? Peck the egg with your fingernail. Have you candled it?

by the way, a fox got a young rooster of mine last weekend. I actually saw the fox, but only had a pistol and he got too far away for me to shoot. Well my neighbor killed the $*&@*$ last night, it was going at his dogs. :ya tiny victories!
Just two eggs. The other three had already hatched. Yes, candled it, movement last night but not this afternoon.

This fox was super brave, came right into the back yard in the middle of the day! Glad your fox was taken care of, hopefully we'll get ours soon. We've only had chickens for about a year, but we're hooked.

Thank you! When tapping on one of the eggs we get a little tap back. Warming them with a heating pad now, and off to search how to do a make-shift incubator. Thank you also for sharing the duck story, that gives me some hope for sure!
Some have used aquariums when nothing else was available

Unfortunately it's confirmed they didn't make it. Thank you everyone for your help, I really really appreciate it. Wishing for a different outcome but we learned a lot and will be better prepared next time. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom