PLEASE HELP! After 2.5 years, they are telling me I have 7 days to get the chickens off MY property.

StephanieCoop

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I have had 8 chickens for 2 years and 8 months in Martin County Florida. I own my property and have 1.2 Acres. They have sent me a ciatation by mail stating I am not zoned for agriculture and I have 7 days to remove them from my property. I am zoned R2, residential. Just a few streets away there are many properties zoned Agriculture. I would like to see about re-zoning but it will cost $3,100 to file a petition. YIKES! Anybody have a similiar situation?? I need any advice. I want to keep my chickens. They also have scaly leg mites so it may not be easy to find them new homes. Thank you.

If getting the money to rezone is you only option, start a donation fund to help raise it. You could also try getting the law changed to allow them. Many people nationwide have done this.

Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate it.

As of today, I have placed a call to the County Commsisioner to discuss this matter, no phone call back yet but her secretary was very sweet.

The Code division representative has been very nice also, she is willing to give us an extension if we want to try to re-zone. She says we have 2 options: Rezone or Remove Chickens

We are trying to set up a meeting with Growth Management to ask about rezoning, awaiting a call back from them also.

To file a PETITION for LDL (Land Development "something") for Rezoning would cost us $3,115!! That's alot of money to gamble on.

Thanks again.....

Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate it.

As of today, I have placed a call to the County Commsisioner to discuss this matter, no phone call back yet but her secretary was very sweet.

The Code division representative has been very nice also, she is willing to give us an extension if we want to try to re-zone. She says we have 2 options: Rezone or Remove Chickens

We are trying to set up a meeting with Growth Management to ask about rezoning, awaiting a call back from them also.

To file a PETITION for LDL (Land Development "something") for Rezoning would cost us $3,115!! That's alot of money to gamble on.

Thanks again.....
You may be able to get a variance rather than having to re-zone. Also, enlist the support of your neighbors--if all the nearby ones say "yes, they should be allowed to keep their chickens" it will go a long ways towards getting a variance approved. Make sure you look at the permitted uses for your zone--don;t take someone's word that it is not permitted without seeing it writing that keeping a few chickens is not listed.

Tell them the chickens are pets. You only have 8 for heavens sake!

Wonder if that would work.

StephanieCoop have they actually told you what/which law/whatever you are breaking?

I lived in Pinellas County Fl up until a few months ago and know my old neighbors had a similar issue. They had 4 hens and were told they had to remove the chickens due to some random thing about not being able to keep farm animals for ag. use in city limits however my neighbors argued that the chickens were for personal use only and since they did not sell the eggs or meat it didn't apply to them. It worked.

I also live in Martin County - I have been researching breeds and brooders and coops and was about to order everything - until - yesterday 4/18, I called code enforcement - just to be sure. I was informed that I could not have any chickens even though I said I was not talking about a commercial operation that all I wanted was a couple of pet chickens. I am also zoned R-2 - and live in unincorporated Martin County.

I found your thread while trying to find others in Martin County would would be interested in helping to change things.

Any interest?

Feel free to contact me at dixiemcg at bellsouth dot net.

I also live in Martin County - I have been researching breeds and brooders and coops and was about to order everything - until - yesterday 4/18, I called code enforcement - just to be sure. I was informed that I could not have any chickens even though I said I was not talking about a commercial operation that all I wanted was a couple of pet chickens. I am also zoned R-2 - and live in unincorporated Martin County.

I found your thread while trying to find others in Martin County would would be interested in helping to change things.

Any interest?

Feel free to contact me at dixiemcg at bellsouth dot net.
DiverDown,
I sent you an email this morning.

Wonder if that would work.

StephanieCoop have they actually told you what/which law/whatever you are breaking?

I lived in Pinellas County Fl up until a few months ago and know my old neighbors had a similar issue. They had 4 hens and were told they had to remove the chickens due to some random thing about not being able to keep farm animals for ag. use in city limits however my neighbors argued that the chickens were for personal use only and since they did not sell the eggs or meat it didn't apply to them. It worked.
Allieszoo,
Yes, they have informed me of the law that has been broken...

"Land Development Regulations, Martin County Code Section 3.206 A- Household Pets
For purpose of this section, household pets shall mean dogs, cats, birds, and similar animals commonly kept within, or in close proximity to a residence. This definition specifically excludes barnyard animals such as pigs, goats, sheep, horses, cows, and poultry."

Back
Top Bottom