PLEASE HELP ASAP. Quail's eyes healed over after injury?

HopieGirl4Ever

The Chook Artist
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
At my Desk
I recently became the temporary owner of a few quail previously kept at my school, due to closure. One of them had been getting really beaten up and his face was badly injured, so I've kept him separate since then (about a month) and he's been healing up well since then. His eyes were a little smaller because of scar tissue around them, but I SWEAR to you I fed him yesterday morning and he was normal. His cage is raised above the ground to nearly eye level, I would definitely have noticed if something was wrong. I just went to feed them this morning and one of his eyes is shut - scarred over? Except for a tiny spot in the middle, like a pinprick. I can't make out eyelids or anything, his eye is just gone. It looks like because of past injuries it healed over, his face isn't swollen and there's nothing "unpleasant" about it, there's just... no eye. His other one is a tiny bit more visible but I really don't think he can see. What do I do, can I gently reopen them somehow?? He's so tiny I'm so afraid of damaging him. I swear, I fed him yesterday and WATCHED HIM EAT, so this is very sudden. I can take photos if needed. Thank you!

Try holding the quail wrapped in a towel on your lap and hold a warm wet clean washcloth to it’s eye as a wet compress for a few minutes. The try to open the eye with thumb and forefinger. It may be crusted shut with eye drainage. Apply a small dab of plain antibiotic ointment to the eye to treat infection and lubricate it. Use the ointment after cleaning the eye twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom