PLEASE HELP! assisting in hatching call duck eggs.

Hey okay, so it's attempt 2 and my little guy has been internally pipped for about 3 days now, he has a safety hole and is breathing fine, but he isn't showing any signs of externally pipping - do you think if he's completely absorbed his yolk and everything and still fails to break through will start to starve? For now he stills sounds very strong - chipping and cheaping

Awe! So we had so many finally hatch--that every single one gave me anxiety--i'd freak out about something going on with each hatch. My 18 yo daughter had to hold be back and keep reminding me that everything is fine. I narrowed down the "viable"/"viability" indications so that I'd not interfere--instead, remain calm and let the chick go thru it's own birthing process--not how I wanted it to :) so, by my observations--if your chick has internally pipped, you can hear chirping, and/or see rocking, if external pip and you can see beak or see inside movement--id say be patient. It's possible it's taking time because in fact it still needs to absorb yolk. It won't starve--they don't eat right away when out of shell anyway--they need to dry off first--then when moved to brooder--introduce them to water first (not food first). I worried about them starving too--they are very resilient and equipped to not eat for 3 days after hatch.

Yours sounds like it's doing just great!

Have your tried the tape method for curled toes? It works very quickly, but it's best to do right at hatch.
yes, thank you! The curling wasn't as developed until day 7, so I've been tending to it every day. She picks off either shoe and as she grows so quickly--the turned middle toes just dont look at of my efforts are working. I'm going to set up some roots oh their play pen to see if I can get her on those for therapy... Booting a chick is more challenging than juggling.

I'm so sorry! Did you remove the shell to see what may have happened? My thought is malpositioned.
Are your eggs from your own birds?
I'm so sorry!!! And these messages on this site are too confusing--i can't track order or from whom. So I'm responding add I find them--but not sure that any are in order...

Awe! So we had so many finally hatch--that every single one gave me anxiety--i'd freak out about something going on with each hatch. My 18 yo daughter had to hold be back and keep reminding me that everything is fine. I narrowed down the "viable"/"viability" indications so that I'd not interfere--instead, remain calm and let the chick go thru it's own birthing process--not how I wanted it to :) so, by my observations--if your chick has internally pipped, you can hear chirping, and/or see rocking, if external pip and you can see beak or see inside movement--id say be patient. It's possible it's taking time because in fact it still needs to absorb yolk. It won't starve--they don't eat right away when out of shell anyway--they need to dry off first--then when moved to brooder--introduce them to water first (not food first). I worried about them starving too--they are very resilient and equipped to not eat for 3 days after hatch.

Yours sounds like it's doing just great!
What I meant was, what if it was supposed to hatch three days ago, but couldn't therefore using up its 3 days of "not eating and stuff" before it hatches.

I'm constantly freaking out too - but being three years younger than your daughter and the only person to know anything about ducks and hatching in my family, there's not really anyone to give me advice, that's why I'm constantly on this app.

Anyway, it's too late now, but I'll remember it for attempt 3 :/

Back
Top Bottom