PLEASE HELP! assisting in hatching call duck eggs.

Any updates??? I'm on my 4th attempt to hatch chicks--and, last attempt left only one live chick that started off on its hatch day by chirping right back at us each time we chirped at it--EXHILARATING, and rocking back and forth--like in sync with a heartbeat (like you asked previously)--I asked the same thing out loud (no one answered me in my kitchen) "Is that consistent rocking back and forth a sign of heart beating / heavy breathing each heart beat OR distress???" After 2 hours, it stopped moving and chirping. AHHHH WHAT TO DO? I again googled what to do--and, broke down and safety pinned a hole after 2 hours, to see CLEARLY that there was NO movement or heartbeat inside the egg either, so I gently and very cautiously continued to pick away the eggshell from the airhole, and around to the tip--to find that the poor little thing had been breech/upside down inside the shell. Devastating, is all I can say to describe this scenario. I've read all over to NOT assist, to WAIT for 24 hours before worrying too much... I'm a VERY cautious and rule-following type person--but, I swore after this particular experience, that: if I can hear chirping, this means that the chick made it / pipped into the aircell, and that I will NOT feel guilty to add a safety hole if my gut suggests--especially if I cannot see into the egg, or that I cannot see movement (I was SURE that the movement I was seeing was of distress vs. normal hatching movement). If I then make a safety hole and can see movement or beak or breathing, then I'll put it back into 'bator and maybe consider helping a little bit more along the way if it seems needed (as long as not to pierce blood-vessel layer). I learned to trust my instincts after following the traditional rules--because I regret that I could have saved it's life--or, I'd feel less guilty if I'd have tried to help sooner. Anyway, I hope this worked out for you--please post update and pics if applicable!

This time I made a safety hole a few hours after I heard it squeaking - because I wasn't sure how long ago it had actually internally pipped, I'm glad I did because it's been over 48 hours since he started and he hasn't managed to externally pip, he's alive and well for now because I made the safetyhole - he is still squeaking and chipping at the egg. So I say trust your gut, if it's pipped internally I don't think a safety hole can do much harm as long as its done right
I hope your chicks are doing ok this time?

This time I made a safety hole a few hours after I heard it squeaking - because I wasn't sure how long ago it had actually internally pipped, I'm glad I did because it's been over 48 hours since he started and he hasn't managed to externally pip, he's alive and well for now because I made the safetyhole - he is still squeaking and chipping at the egg. So I say trust your gut, if it's pipped internally I don't think a safety hole can do much harm as long as its done right
I hope your chicks are doing ok this time?

Yay, thanks for sharing! And I totally agree--I'll never again deny my instincts about assisting even a tiny pip hole as long as I hear peeping. I finally successfully hatched 100% from 0%--NINE chicks in all. So excited. And because I talked to them and chirped back often--to every single egg--not only have they all imprinted onto me--reach one is sooooo friendly--I'm so surprised! All I do is put my hand in the brooder, palm up and wiggle my fingers and invite them to go for an elevator ride--they fight over who gets I first lol. Our first chicks--their parents--we're totally different in behavior--they didn't want to be held (tho do now because we hold them often, even as adults). Anyway--I'm just so excited at how snuggly these ones are and so friendly. I do have one that I've been trying to repair its curled toes poor thing--my efforts don't seem to be working. I'm going to write a post on here to support other newbie hatchers--specifically about the assist.
20200529_193132.jpg

Yay, thanks for sharing! And I totally agree--I'll never again deny my instincts about assisting even a tiny pip hole as long as I hear peeping. I finally successfully hatched 100% from 0%--NINE chicks in all. So excited. And because I talked to them and chirped back often--to every single egg--not only have they all imprinted onto me--reach one is sooooo friendly--I'm so surprised! All I do is put my hand in the brooder, palm up and wiggle my fingers and invite them to go for an elevator ride--they fight over who gets I first lol. Our first chicks--their parents--we're totally different in behavior--they didn't want to be held (tho do now because we hold them often, even as adults). Anyway--I'm just so excited at how snuggly these ones are and so friendly. I do have one that I've been trying to repair its curled toes poor thing--my efforts don't seem to be working. I'm going to write a post on here to support other newbie hatchers--specifically about the assist. View attachment 2173905
That's great! And your chick in the photo looks adorable - regarding the curly toes, have you been trying that thing with a bit of chopped up old credit card and Earing tape? idk if it actually works tho

I'd hold off until this evening to do anything. Before going to bed, candle to ensure you are not going to poke the duckling, then pop a little safety hole through the shell and membrane into the air cell. I use a glasses screw driver, but many use tiny drill bits or screws. Place the egg back in its original position, and leave it for the night.
Calls are like torture to hatch! They take about 3 days... TORTURE.
Hey okay, so it's attempt 2 and my little guy has been internally pipped for about 3 days now, he has a safety hole and is breathing fine, but he isn't showing any signs of externally pipping - do you think if he's completely absorbed his yolk and everything and still fails to break through will start to starve? For now he stills sounds very strong - chipping and cheaping

Hey okay, so it's attempt 2 and my little guy has been internally pipped for about 3 days now, he has a safety hole and is breathing fine, but he isn't showing any signs of externally pipping - do you think if he's completely absorbed his yolk and everything and still fails to break through will start to starve? For now he stills sounds very strong - chipping and cheaping
3 days! At this point, I'd start slowly removing the shell around the safety hole to get a better look. Just enough to see the bill.

That's great! And your chick in the photo looks adorable - regarding the curly toes, have you been trying that thing with a bit of chopped up old credit card and Earing tape? idk if it actually works tho

I've tried 3 different tapes and bandaids and custom cutting boots out of single ply cardboard. I was going to be philanthropic and video/document my journey--but there's not enough hands and my splints look so bad they're not helpful ahhh I don't know about the method you're describing but I'll go look! Thanks for suggestion!!!

I've tried 3 different tapes and bandaids and custom cutting boots out of single ply cardboard. I was going to be philanthropic and video/document my journey--but there's not enough hands and my splints look so bad they're not helpful ahhh I don't know about the method you're describing but I'll go look! Thanks for suggestion!!!
Have your tried the tape method for curled toes? It works very quickly, but it's best to do right at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom