• Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Girl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

birds4c

Songster
Mar 6, 2021
I have two chicks who I was wondering if they are boys or girls. They both hatched this past Thursday. I think this one is a pure bred Mil de Fleur bantam. I’ll post about the other in a new thread.

Attachments

• F5034F7C-6D50-42FF-BD74-396268A6A89B.jpeg
    F5034F7C-6D50-42FF-BD74-396268A6A89B.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2CB3DBAA-2295-43ED-BC01-201571E3E089.jpeg
    2CB3DBAA-2295-43ED-BC01-201571E3E089.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 2
Most chicks cannot be sexed by the feathers in the wings.

To accurately sex them by wing feathers, you have to make the right cross of parent types-- which usually does not happen when raising purebred chicks.

Mil de Fleur bantam.
You probably mean Mille Fleur d'Uccle.
(Things like autocomplete, spellcheck, and autocorrect do awful things to some breed names!)

Not wing sexable, and even if were it would be impossible to know for sure without knowing what the parents carried.

Wing sexing only works when you cross a slow feathering female x fast feathering male, slow feathering is dominant and carried on the Z chromosome, so since males have two, they will pass one ft feathering genes to all their offspring. The mother will pass the second Z chromosome (carrying dominant slow feathering) to all her sons, causing them to feather slowly, and a W chromosome to all her daughters meaning they will not carry a slow feathering gene and will be fast feathering.

Most chicks cannot be sexed by the feathers in the wings.

To accurately sex them by wing feathers, you have to make the right cross of parent types-- which usually does not happen when raising purebred chicks.

You probably mean Mille Fleur d'Uccle.
(Things like autocomplete, spellcheck, and autocorrect do awful things to some breed names!)

Ah ok! Thank you for your help! I had seen some YouTube videos of people looking at the chicks wings to determine if they were boys or girls but I didn’t know the chicks had to be bred from certain types.

Thank you for the correction. I’m pretty new to chickens but am learning every day! You’re probably right for what breed it is.

The chick just turned four weeks old today! Can you tell now if it’s male or female?

Attachments

• 4BCAABD6-42EB-442C-B670-3A429565D2CD.jpeg
    4BCAABD6-42EB-442C-B670-3A429565D2CD.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 1
I think it is probably female, because I don't see any obvious male traits.

Some males do take a long time to show any signs of their gender, so I cannot be positive at this time. (At this age, some males are very obvious. Your chick is NOT one of them.)

Pullet. d'Uccle cockerels typically comb up quite early.

Post updated pic in 2 weeks to confirm.

Ok great! Thank you! I can post again in a couple weeks if you don’t mind checking again!

Back
Top Bottom