Please Help Chicken won't Stand at all!!

Give her some baby liquid vitamins without iron. Also put some crushed vitamin B complex tablets on her food. If it is a vitamin deficiency then it will take some time to correct.

Need opinions: its been two days and baby is getting a slight more strength in her legs. I just fed her and gave the liquid vitamins and vitamin b and she tried to push herself up with her wings and body. When i put her in her donut she tried to adjust herself. She is bright, alert, and hooting.
Does this mean she will get better? Is there anything else i can do for her?
Oh...i also hobbled her.
Any opinions are greatly appreciated

Why have you hobbled her? It is encouraging that she is showing signs of improvement. It will take some time. I have had a hen in the house now for a few days and she just took her first steps today. Give it a week minimum although some may surprise you. Keep doing what you're doing.

I hobbled because the one leg appears to be twisting and to help her legs stay straight until the vitamins start strengthening her bones. I'm try to prevent deformities i think. Should i take it off?

Ah. I don't know. The bones are not the problem. If it is a vitamin deficiency it is with the nerves and such that control the "telling the legs to move when you want them to" parts. The lack of vitamin B primarily is causing a communication problem with the brain saying move and the legs not getting the message.

I see and that makes a lot of sense. I'm observing that now when i make her flap her wings she does try to pull the legs up. If this is the case how long will it take the vitamin b? I have just finished her last massage and range of movement and it feels to me her resistance to the manipulations improves each time although she is starting to fight me more and fighting being put on her back.

I don't think massage and manipulation will change anything. If she had been unable to walk for a long time....maybe to keep muscle tone? I don't know if that works in chickens or not...but it just will take how ever long it will take for her to get better. Each chicken and each situation is different. I just think that it is a good sign that she is getting better. Be careful turning her upside down...she could aspirate liquid from her crop and get fluid in her lungs. My hen is now on day 5 and took a few steps and seems better able to maintain her balance.

That's the frustating part i don't now how long she's been like this come from a chicken house for George's. I do know from reading that broiler chikens usually lose use of their legs due to the rapid growth. If the info is correct this poor little thig is only 6 or 7 weeks old. Her feathers seem like their growing back over night. She has new growth that was not there when i got her 2 days ago. I have been reading some terrible stuff and wondering will i be able to reverse at least some of the damage done.
I know she had to be walking at some point because she had to eat and drink.
I was appalled at how the other 4 were caught. I'm wondering if something was damaged that day when they were being loaded. I just don't know.
What does the constant soft hooting mean? Is she comfortable?

Ah yes. I forgot that she could be a broiler. I don't know that much about them but I don't believe they are meant to be very long lived?? You may not be able to get her walking again but it doesn;t mean that you can't try. At the least you will have made her life better than it would have been.

Back
Top Bottom