Please Help: Chicks without water

sullivan's chicklets

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Anderson, SC
My hen knocked over the water yesterday sometime. I had to work so I was not home. I went out this morning, refilled the water and thought nothing of it. Now all of the chicks are doing some weird thing. Its scary!! They like flipped over and their heads and wings are in weird positions. It happened to all 14 of them. one after the other. I didn't do anything different same water same water container. I don't know what to do I'm really scared. are they gonna be okay?

I really am so sorry
I wish I could help but all I can say is I'm praying for the lil guys
I know how it is for something so bad to happen so fast and to feel so helpless
just remember you cant be everywhere at once don't beat yourself up to bad

Get some SaveAChick electrolytes, Pedialyte, Gatorade, or sugar and mix it into the water--then dip their beaks into it to get them hydrated. Products such as Poultry Nutri-Drench are also helpful. They are showing neurological signs of dehydration and stress. Always make sure that you have multiple water sources, and especially in summer because they can always knock over or spill water. So sorry for your loss.

Here is a recipe for electrolytes from TheChickenChick.com:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Get some SaveAChick electrolytes, Pedialyte, Gatorade, or sugar and mix it into the water--then dip their beaks into it to get them hydrated. Products such as Poultry Nutri-Drench are also helpful. They are showing neurological signs of dehydration and stress. Always make sure that you have multiple water sources, and especially in summer because they can always knock over or spill water. So sorry for your loss.
that save-a-chick and nutri-drench is great stuff maybe the ones left can bounce back
good luck

Thanks for the information and advice. I'm down to 9..... The Gatorade seems to have helped 3, but 2 are still in those painful looking positions. I looked up shock symptoms and I put them in my brooder. Do I need to stay with them and continuously dip their beaks or just check them every 10 minutes or so?

I think it's all over now. The surviving chicks are acting normally and seem to be back to normal with no jerky or halting movements. Tomorrow I'm going to return them to their mother and see if she'll take them back. All in All I lost 8..... lesson learned I guess
hit.gif
At least I gained experience so this never happens again. Thanks to everyone for the information I would have lost them all if not for you guys so thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom