Please help! Cocci, worms? Or something else?

Since the sick ones aren’t eating or drinking should I make the sulfa water mix and give some to them by syringe?
If they are not eating and drinking on their own they will go downhill very fast.
Have you thought about tubing fluids into their crop?

Thanks... It is extremely likely that the new birds introduced a new strain of coccidia when you introduce them.

Do you feed any treats at all?
They get mealworms, scratch, lettuce and sometimes fruit but rarely.

You will need to use a syringe to get the sulfa into the sick birds. If tye aren't eating or drinking, they probably should be tube fed to get fluids and nourishment into them. Or they will continue to weaken, making death more likely.

Tubing ans syringing is easy if you know your way around a chicken's throat. Note the hole in the center. Avoid that. It's the airway. The path to the crop is on the chicken's right as this pic shows.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

You will need to use a syringe to get the sulfa into the sick birds. If tye aren't eating or drinking, they probably should be tube fed to get fluids and nourishment into them. Or they will continue to weaken, making death more likely.

Tubing ans syringing is easy if you know your way around a chicken's throat. Note the hole in the center. Avoid that. It's the airway. The path to the crop is on the chicken's right as this pic shows.View attachment 2950697
Thanks I will try!

Thanks I will try!
I’ve also seen a lot of these around the run, is this the foamy yellow kind that indicates worms or cocci?

Attachments

• FFE11185-D5A5-40B3-8E88-AEA375CC66A1.jpeg
    FFE11185-D5A5-40B3-8E88-AEA375CC66A1.jpeg
    901 KB · Views: 4
  • 45CE859A-7561-42F2-8297-7646626DE472.jpeg
    45CE859A-7561-42F2-8297-7646626DE472.jpeg
    940.6 KB · Views: 4
Poop alone can't give you definitive information about the presence of parasites. It can, as this poop does, give you a reason to have it tested for parasites. Any vet, with adequate persuasion can run a fecal float test for you on poop samples. Just assure your vet you will assume the responsibility of treatment.

That poop may be negative for coccidia now that you've used a coccidiostat on the flock, but if worms are present, it will tell you and also what kind they are so you know what worming med is best.

Poop alone can't give you definitive information about the presence of parasites. It can, as this poop does, give you a reason to have it tested for parasites. Any vet, with adequate persuasion can run a fecal float test for you on poop samples. Just assure your vet you will assume the responsibility of treatment.

That poop may be negative for coccidia now that you've used a coccidiostat on the flock, but if worms are present, it will tell you and also what kind they are so you know what worming med is best.
Ok thanks!

Back
Top Bottom