PLEASE HELP!? Coccidiosis???

lindsayc1821

Chirping
6 Years
May 18, 2015
I have 5, five-day old chicks. I noticed some orange-ish and brown looking poop earlier this morning. Concerned, I checked all of their vents, which seem to all be perfectly clean and working properly. I watched each of them produce a normal poop. A few hours later I noticed another odd brown, red-orange mixed poop (pictured below).
They are on non-medicated feed. I have been feeding them small amounts of garlic everyday. I have also been adding from-the-mother ACV and probiotics to their water everyday. Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
That poop looks fairly solid for cocci, and not quite the bright red color. Do you know which one pooped it? I would keep observing and see if you notice one that looks a little under the weather. I wouldn't treat them all for cocci at that age without being more positive that that's what it was.

Welcome to BYC. 5 days seems a bit young for coccidiosis, but there is red seepage into the pine shavings. I would get Corid (mprollium) to have on hand. and if I saw more of thse droppings or anyone acting lethargic or weak, I would start it. Corid is not harmful, but chicks with coccidiosis can really go down fast. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days as the only water source. Afterward, give some vitamins and a little buttermilk or probiotics in the water for a few days.

That poop looks fairly solid for cocci, and not quite the bright red color. Do you know which one pooped it? I would keep observing and see if you notice one that looks a little under the weather. I wouldn't treat them all for cocci at that age without being more positive that that's what it was.

I'm not sure who it is. After I found the first odd looking poop this morning, I did an inspection of all of their vents and watched each one poop. Everything looked good, so I shrugged it off. Then I can back a few hours and found this one that I posted a picture of. To me, it seems a more orange-ish color, but its hard to say. They are all eating and drinking fine and acting like normal baby chicks. I'd really like to stay away from medication if at all possible.

Welcome to BYC. 5 days seems a bit young for coccidiosis, but there is red seepage into the pine shavings. I would get Corid (mprollium) to have on hand. and if I saw more of thse droppings or anyone acting lethargic or weak, I would start it. Corid is not harmful, but chicks with coccidiosis can really go down fast. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days as the only water source. Afterward, give some vitamins and a little buttermilk or probiotics in the water for a few days.

I was thinking I might purchase some corrid tomorrow just to have on hand, but I'd prefer not to use it. After all my reasearch, i felt strongly enough that I could go without medicated feed, but now I'm wondering if I maybe should just switch them over to medicated feed?

Like Eggcessive said, I would get Corid just in case you notice more symptoms soon. Baby chicks go downhill really fast and having it on hand could save lives. But I wouldn't treat until you see more poops or sick chicks.

Back
Top Bottom