PLEASE HELP! Disease or injury in anal area. Looks significant. See pics

Neosporin is essentially just Vaseline with some antibiotics, I don't think it'll do any harm.
The egg producing process can't really be stopped for an egg that's already in the oviduct, but their bodies do respond to less light so I would try keeping her in the dark as much as possible.
After she lays the next egg, I would doctor her vent again.
It may take a few days of care for her to either improve or not. Be aware of how she's acting otherwise, and let us know any changes. I am glad you're here for advice, I can tell you care about her!
Thank you. I really do. I'm a trainer for Tony Robbins and in the middle of an event at the moment, so my husband's been primarily dealing with them.
After reading responses about the others pecking her intestines out 😱, and reading about prolapsed vents, I googled it and was horrified. I had to go out (at midnight) and see for myself. Even on their perch at night, another chicken was trying to peck her. No sleeping after that. I couldn't bear the thought of her getting her intestines pecked out like road kill. So glad my husband got up to help me. AND TRULY GRATEFUL FOR THIS SITE AND ALL OF YOU! Had I known what I was getting into, I would have not attempted this. These chickens have become more pets than anything. I would be lost without all of you. Sincerest gratitude...💝

Does any of that appear to be a broken egg? Hopefully it is just poop that will wash off. A simple vent prolapse can be treated with getting the area cleaned up, and keeping the red tissue moist with oil or honey, so the tissue does not dry out. When possible the prolapse should be pushed back in. Other chickens will peck at prolapses and injure the vent. They also may put out the intestines, which will result in death. Let us know what you find, and maybe post a newer picture.
It as definitely a prolapsed vent. We cleaned it. It was quite inflamed. It looked like the intestines were starting to come out too. I put it back in as best as I could after I cleaned it. I used Neosporin on my hands to apply moisture.
We separated her. Today it looked better but still swollen. She laid an egg with blood on it. We put her back in by herself again for the night. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Does any of that appear to be a broken egg? Hopefully it is just poop that will wash off. A simple vent prolapse can be treated with getting the area cleaned up, and keeping the red tissue moist with oil or honey, so the tissue does not dry out. When possible the prolapse should be pushed back in. Other chickens will peck at prolapses and injure the vent. They also may put out the intestines, which will result in death. Let us know what you find, and maybe post a newer picture.
It as definitely a prolapsed vent. We cleaned it. It was quite inflamed. It looked like the intestines were starting to come out too. I put it back in as best as I could after I cleaned it. I used Neosporin on my hands to apply moisture.
We separated her. Today it looked better but still swollen. She laid an egg with blood on it. We put her back in by herself again for the night. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Take the chicken to the bathroom, clean the butt with soapy water and examine the condition of the anus while it's damp. Take photos while your examining. Then report back here.

Hoping someone here can help. My husband brought this to my attention. One of 4 chickens (they have tons of room and are not crowded, has swelling and build up in her anal or vent area. Hard to tell. She wouldn't let me close on my own. Hubby will help tonight. Meanwhile here are some pics I was able to get.
The 4 chickens look identical so its hard to say if this was the one. But one had diarrhea.

Thoughts?
Chic egg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom