Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
There was no shadowing as of last night. I'm keeping a close eye on them but trying to not touch them unless I have a glove on. Two of them are very active but no pip. Is it dangerous to use the NR360 candler at this point (Day 19)? I worried about turning them upside down, so I'm trying to candle them lying down with a handheld candler. The NR360 candler is an amazing candler!!!
Ok. It should be safe to use the NR candler, but I like to keep them level when I candle them. If you tip them upside down (I've never seen this anywhere else but it's true in all of my eggs) to candle and the baby was shadowing, you won't know because when you tip it upside down gravity pulls the baby out of the air cell. If you keep them level you should be able to see the shadowing though.

Fancy Nancy is looking dark brown and black now, so I don't know what color she's considered. I keep forgetting to share pictures of her flockmates. I ended up getting a dark brown silkie, a blue silkie, and 2 "showgirls" (the seller calls them showgirls but they don't have any silkie in them. So I believe they're turken x cochin crosses. The seller has been keeping chickens longer than I have so there's a good chance that I'm wrong. From what I've learned so far showgirls have a lot of silkies in their lines. My daughter doesn't care at all and has already fallen in love with these naked necks. I know it's early, but it looks like we may have a pair and the smaller ones feathers seem to be growing in frizzled. I believe this may be why the seller is crossing turken with cochin, to get frizzled). I'm trying to upload pictures but my phone and internet are being difficult
Aw, cute! Her new flockmates sound adorable. I know nothing about silkies/showgirls, lol. I'd love to see some pics if you're successful in hatching some!

Ok. It should be safe to use the NR candler, but I like to keep them level when I candle them. If you tip them upside down (I've never seen this anywhere else but it's true in all of my eggs) to candle and the baby was shadowing, you won't know because when you tip it upside down gravity pulls the baby out of the air cell. If you keep them level you should be able to see the shadowing though.

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. I didn't even think about using it and just keeping them on their side. I believe my handheld candler is needing batteries already. The NR360 has a nice bright candler and it'll be tough to top that. I have some really strong flashlights but they sometimes heat up a bit, plus the eggs don't fit well. I tried making an attachment so the eggs would fit the flashlight better and no light would escape but it was a little disastrous.

Aw, cute! Her new flockmates sound adorable. I know nothing about silkies/showgirls, lol. I'd love to see some pics if you're successful in hatching some!

I ordered some showgirls and I don't think any of them developed. It was 12 eggs and as usual, the air cells were awful. I've heard something about the eggs being ruined if put through the Xray at the postal service, is this true? That might be a good explanation as to why they all appeared clear. If I saw anything at all, I kept it, so I'll know soon. They go into lockdown on Tuesday but I don't believe any of them developed. That's odd out of 12 eggs, isn't it? After those eggs, any other eggs incubating here, are being incubated correctly (like we discussed).

The ones I kept, I believe the yolk was just appearing different because of being incubated, not because of development

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. I didn't even think about using it and just keeping them on their side. I believe my handheld candler is needing batteries already. The NR360 has a nice bright candler and it'll be tough to top that. I have some really strong flashlights but they sometimes heat up a bit, plus the eggs don't fit well. I tried making an attachment so the eggs would fit the flashlight better and no light would escape but it was a little disastrous.
Yep. The NR candler should be fine to use up until day 18 though.

I ordered some showgirls and I don't think any of them developed. It was 12 eggs and as usual, the air cells were awful. I've heard something about the eggs being ruined if put through the Xray at the postal service, is this true? That might be a good explanation as to why they all appeared clear. If I saw anything at all, I kept it, so I'll know soon. They go into lockdown on Tuesday but I don't believe any of them developed. That's odd out of 12 eggs, isn't it? After those eggs, any other eggs incubating here, are being incubated correctly (like we discussed).
Aw, that's too bad. I don't think the X-Ray thing is true. I've seen a couple threads about it on here, I'll look for them. It is odd that out of 12 you haven't gotten anything. Did any actually start to develop or are they all clear?

Aw, that's too bad. I don't think the X-Ray thing is true. I've seen a couple threads about it on here, I'll look for them. It is odd that out of 12 you haven't gotten anything. Did any actually start to develop or are they all clear?

I believe they're all clear. I have 4 in the NR360 but I don't believe they developed. I think what I was seeing is only the yolk that had been incubated. I'm almost certain that there weren't ever any veins in the eggs. I second guess myself constantly so I have to be 100% certain to remove an egg from incubation and that's after they've been given a chance to prove me wrong. I'm so wierd, so please overlook me at times when my weirdness shines bright :oops:

Yeah, definitely calibrate them. I'm guessing your egg got dented by the hen. Can you post a pic of it? What day is she on?
I am not sure what day since my mom tucked the egg under her, and we forgot exactly what day that was. From the development it will be soon though, a few days if that. I just checked it about hour ago and panicked because it wasn't moving, so I make a little hole to peer in. It has not internally pipped, then it woke up. Me: "Yay! But Argh, why didn't you move earlier so I wouldn't panic and make a hole!" I put tape over the hole and tucked it back under Momma.
So it is for sure damage from the hens, we kept putting hay under the egg but it is a favorite nesting box even with all the new ones I'd made. She'd end up with other hens in there. Not ideal. I really need to get another broody coop, the ones I have are all full with chicks and other mommas! Need a broody break coop, actually. My mom said, "I've had chickens for years and I've NEVER seen so many chickens go broody!" It's the breeds I like. :)
Sorry for hijacking the thread, I didn't mean to!

Back
Top Bottom