Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
These eggs are Olandsk (dwarfs and so cute). They traveled from TX to NC. I went back through and have 5 of the 6 Olandsk Eggs left. Two of them are moving often and look to be in draw down (?) but I didn't see an internal pip. It is time to go and check them so we'll see. Today is Day 18 for them. Are they OK being turned up until internal pip? I am still very shocked that they survived as I honestly thought I had lost every egg in the Incuview. It's a good thing I listened to my conscience and transferred them to the NR360. I heard back from the seller and they stated that they typically hatch on Day 21 (I asked about this since I've heard that a lot of the smaller breeds hatch as early as Day 18 and then throughout until the actual Day 21) for him although there's a chance I will have some hatching any time now. They also said that they raise the humidity by 10 at lockdown
Any shadowing going on? You'll see a little gray shadowy line along the air cell line of they are. Olandsk dwarfs look so awesome! I had to look them up. I hope some hatch! I would not turn them. Unplug the turner, and turn the spitzs 5 times a day. If it's been on all day until now just turn them 2 or 3 times. You should be safe to have the humidity in the 40s or so until internal pip.

I had a really hard time getting my NR360, I kept calling the different TSCs who kept telling me call back Wednesday, when the shipment comes in. Well, after a week, " it is out of stock at the warehouse and will be a week before they get one, and another week before WE get one." This was at a store about 45 min away. They couldn't get one transferred from the one store that DID have it because it was a little too far away (I am in AZ). So my husband went there and got it, about an hour and a half away. I'd called ahead and had them hold the LAST one, and when he got there there was someone else trying to get one!

I don't really trust the thermometer on it, but then I don't really trust any thermometers I put inside either, because the first time around the ones I'd put inside read it as low, so I bumped it up (100.5), figuring it would average out. They all hatched a day early. I had four that pipped externally before pipping internally.
The second hatch I put it at 100 degrees, and I had a really awful hatch rate, only seven out of the 22, but none of them pipped the wrong way, and they hatched closer to the right time. This time around I am leaving it on 99.5, and seeing what that will do.

What helped me out a lot were the assisted hatching articles here on BYC: Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry and Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching
Sounds like you had a fun time getting your NR! Lol!
What you need to do is calibrate your thermometers. You should never put eggs in unless you have a calibrated thermometer to check the temp with. You have to know it's accurate. Here's how I do it.

Definitely calibrate. I put mine insealed Ziploc bags, and submerge them in a tall cup mostly full of crushed ice and a bit of cold water. Not much water though. Give them at least 10 minutes, check, and if at 32 you can take them out. If not, leave them longer. 30 minutes at most. If tgey won't go down to 32 try the ice bath again. If it won't go to 32 I'd discontinue using it. Only use ones that go down to 32.
For some reason this wouldn't attach in my above post.

I was candling and moving eggs one at a time to the hatcher. I got through 5 eggs (candled and moved to hatcher individually) and the next one I picked up, I noticed a crack, then cheeps. I realized what was going on and put it back into the incubator since the hatcher is in another room. I immediately raised the humidity since I don't have it high in the incubator but now I'm worried that the chick is going to get shrink wrapped and/or injured by the turner. The turner isn't on as I just use it for holding the eggs. There is another egg that has a crack as well, but neither pipped in the air cell. Should I open again to place some coconut oil on the cracks in hopes of it seeping down and lubricating the membrane? Should I quickly move the remaining eggs into the hatcher and place a warm damp washcloth in with them?
Could the little cracked one be ready? So you could help them out? Moisture is very important the hatching. I am hoping they turn out ok. 😀

Good idea to calibrate, I'll have to do that with my brooder one, since it is a regular thermometer. Thanks for the instructions on it. :) My digital one doesn't go above 99 it looks like ( kind of dumb, since I am in AZ).

I was just thinking of this post yesterday because one of the eggs my Japanese bantam broody is sitting on has a crack, at first I thought it was a blood vessel on the inside of the egg. I only saw it because I candled, it isn't a usual pip. It looks like there are few impact marks, I am not sure if it is from inside or not, it looks internal, the chick is moving around, but I don't think it has internally pipped yet because I don't see the beak triangle shadow.

Good idea to calibrate, I'll have to do that with my brooder one, since it is a regular thermometer. Thanks for the instructions on it. :) My digital one doesn't go above 99 it looks like ( kind of dumb, since I am in AZ).

I was just thinking of this post yesterday because one of the eggs my Japanese bantam broody is sitting on has a crack, at first I thought it was a blood vessel on the inside of the egg. I only saw it because I candled, it isn't a usual pip. It looks like there are few impact marks, I am not sure if it is from inside or not, it looks internal, the chick is moving around, but I don't think it has internally pipped yet because I don't see the beak triangle shadow.
Yeah, definitely calibrate them. I'm guessing your egg got dented by the hen. Can you post a pic of it? What day is she on?

Could the little cracked one be ready? So you could help them out? Moisture is very important the hatching. I am hoping they turn out ok. 😀

The two cracked eggs were both pips. I ended up with an adorable little silkie chick and sadly lost the other one because I didn't intervene in time. Luckily a small nearby farm had chicks so "Fancy Nancy" has 4 flockmates (2 more silkies that are a couple of days younger than her and 2 turken x cochin crosses that are a few days older than her). I'm confident that the suggestions and support I've found here will help a lot. I've got some eggs that are on Day 19 but they were incubated in ways that I've learned might be some of my problems. Of course I'm doing everything I learned here, but the majority of their incubation was not ideal. I'm very anxious to see how this turns out :)

The two cracked eggs were both pips. I ended up with an adorable little silkie chick and sadly lost the other one because I didn't intervene in time. Luckily a small nearby farm had chicks so "Fancy Nancy" has 4 flockmates (2 more silkies that are a couple of days younger than her and 2 turken x cochin crosses that are a few days older than her). I'm confident that the suggestions and support I've found here will help a lot. I've got some eggs that are on Day 19 but they were incubated in ways that I've learned might be some of my problems. Of course I'm doing everything I learned here, but the majority of their incubation was not ideal. I'm very anxious to see how this turns out :)
How are your day 19 eggs today?

Any shadowing going on? You'll see a little gray shadowy line along the air cell line of they are. Olandsk dwarfs look so awesome! I had to look them up. I hope some hatch! I would not turn them. Unplug the turner, and turn the spitzs 5 times a day. If it's been on all day until now just turn them 2 or 3 times. You should be safe to have the humidity in the 40s or so until internal pip.

There was no shadowing as of last night. I'm keeping a close eye on them but trying to not touch them unless I have a glove on. Two of them are very active but no pip. Is it dangerous to use the NR360 candler at this point (Day 19)? I worried about turning them upside down, so I'm trying to candle them lying down with a handheld candler. The NR360 candler is an amazing candler!!!

Fancy Nancy is looking dark brown and black now, so I don't know what color she's considered. I keep forgetting to share pictures of her flockmates. I ended up getting a dark brown silkie, a blue silkie, and 2 "showgirls" (the seller calls them showgirls but they don't have any silkie in them. So I believe they're turken x cochin crosses. The seller has been keeping chickens longer than I have so there's a good chance that I'm wrong. From what I've learned so far showgirls have a lot of silkies in their lines. My daughter doesn't care at all and has already fallen in love with these naked necks. I know it's early, but it looks like we may have a pair and the smaller ones feathers seem to be growing in frizzled. I believe this may be why the seller is crossing turken with cochin, to get frizzled). I'm trying to upload pictures but my phone and internet are being difficult

Back
Top Bottom