Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
Aw, thanks! ❤
I used some natural nail polish on one of my quail eggs that was cracked (shipped) and it hatched! So I personally would try it. You have nothing to lose at least. Did you already use the wax? I've never had good luck with wax. But the nail polish worked really well! If you use it use it sparingly though, don't use too much. I do love the turner, it works so well. Fingers crossed!
I didn't use the wax yet. I'm not sure if I have any natural nail polish. My chickens tend to mistake my fingers for treats (probably thinking they're raisins) anytime my nails are painted so I haven't used nail polish in a while. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I might just try painting my nails again too! I miss having pretty nails!

I'm glad you were able to calibrate them. It will make a difference I think. If your temp was off by two degrees that could have been affecting things. 2 degrees is a lot in incubation. Hopefully this go around is better! What was wrong with your incubator? That's weird. It is rewarding! Don't give up! I have faith in you and that we can get this all sorted out. It will get better! :hugs

Whenever i received the Incuview back on June 12th, I unboxed it and set it up right away. I let it run 3 to 4 days and it ran too cool. I moved it to a spare bedroom and after 2 to 3 days, it seemed to stabilize. I chalked it up to being a bad location. I set 11 showgirl eggs (my daughter's most desired breed that she's been begging for). Whenever Fancy decided that she was going to hatch in the NR360, I needed to move some eggs that were only about halfway through the incubation period and I didn't want the high humidity hurting them, so I moved them to the Incuview. Last night after I got the Spitz eggs set in the NR360, I was going to check the humidity in the Incuview. The thermometer read 104°. I opened it up and changed thermometers, closed it and the next therm also said 104°. I tried two other therms and everyone of them read 104°. Temp would go down from opening but quickly go back to 104°. I have no idea how long it was like this. I took the eggs out but 104 is probably enough to do serious damage. Throughout the entire time, the incubator thermometer read 99.5°. I emailed the company and expect to hear back tomorrow. Incubator Warehouse seems to have excellent customer service, so I'm confident that we'll get something figured out. I just hate the amount of money that's lost from this. I can't be mad at anyone but it is frustrating. I'm just going to concentrate on using the NR360 for now and hopefully gain more knowledge and positive experiences. I have some amazing support in @MGG and I am so grateful for it!

Thank you! I am seriously impressed with this chick. She (hoping to push all the feminine vibes on this chick) is lonely but she's handling it really well. I am often a human version of the "mama heating pad" as I get a heating pad and tent it over my chest and stomach. Fancy uses that anytime she needs warming and just walks all over me, especially loving to get under my chin, and cuddle up to my neck. In her brooder, she's got her heat plate, and I double knotted a kitchen "flour sack" towel. I was hoping the knots would feel similar to the body of another chick. She's also got a tiny little whale stuffie about her size, but seems to prefer her "rag doll". I wanted to add a mirror but I tend to overthink everything and worried about it falling over. I know that she'll not get excited to see my hand and happily snuggle into it once she has friends tomorrow, but I want her to be happy all the time, not just the time we can spend with her. I can't be the only one that is crazy over a chick whenever it's an "only chick"
Aw. I've been using the MHP on my chicks this year, and they have feathered out so fast. They're 3 weeks and fully feathered already! They've been outside for a week in a grow out tractor. I love the knot idea! That's really clever! I too have worried about a mirror falling over, and all of my birds are always scared of it. I think I just have weird birds, lol. I have a lone quail right now, I have been doing staggered hatches for the past month on them because I only have one pair, and I really have no way to store them. I set 2 eggs, but one was infertile. So I just have the one baby. He's almost a week old, his siblings are finally due this weekend. I dote on him quite a bit. He's my little buddy. I totally get it! Lol

I didn't use the wax yet. I'm not sure if I have any natural nail polish. My chickens tend to mistake my fingers for treats (probably thinking they're raisins) anytime my nails are painted so I haven't used nail polish in a while. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I might just try painting my nails again too! I miss having pretty nails!
Ok! I used the "piggy paint" brand. It was all we had on hand. That's funny! 😂

Whenever i received the Incuview back on June 12th, I unboxed it and set it up right away. I let it run 3 to 4 days and it ran too cool. I moved it to a spare bedroom and after 2 to 3 days, it seemed to stabilize. I chalked it up to being a bad location. I set 11 showgirl eggs (my daughter's most desired breed that she's been begging for). Whenever Fancy decided that she was going to hatch in the NR360, I needed to move some eggs that were only about halfway through the incubation period and I didn't want the high humidity hurting them, so I moved them to the Incuview. Last night after I got the Spitz eggs set in the NR360, I was going to check the humidity in the Incuview. The thermometer read 104°. I opened it up and changed thermometers, closed it and the next therm also said 104°. I tried two other therms and everyone of them read 104°. Temp would go down from opening but quickly go back to 104°. I have no idea how long it was like this. I took the eggs out but 104 is probably enough to do serious damage. Throughout the entire time, the incubator thermometer read 99.5°. I emailed the company and expect to hear back tomorrow. Incubator Warehouse seems to have excellent customer service, so I'm confident that we'll get something figured out. I just hate the amount of money that's lost from this. I can't be mad at anyone but it is frustrating. I'm just going to concentrate on using the NR360 for now and hopefully gain more knowledge and positive experiences. I have some amazing support in @MGG and I am so grateful for it!
Wow. That's so weird. Your eggs might be ok, you never know. I'm sure there will be some losses, but you might get a couple survivors. I really like the NR, hopefully you'll have good luck this time around. I'm looking forward to Spitz updates! They're such cool chickens.

I wish I could find another NR360 but I can't find them anywhere. Out of the 3 incubators that I've tried, the NR360 is definitely my favorite.
Mine was so hard to find! Have you checked with any nearby TSCs? I found mine at a TSC an hour away, we had them hold it and drove to pick it up. Their websites aren't always reliable, the one i found mine at said "out of stock" on the website. I called to check and, sure enough they had one. It was the last one though. You might get lucky and find one!

I was candling and moving eggs one at a time to the hatcher. I got through 5 eggs (candled and moved to hatcher individually) and the next one I picked up, I noticed a crack, then cheeps. I realized what was going on and put it back into the incubator since the hatcher is in another room. I immediately raised the humidity since I don't have it high in the incubator but now I'm worried that the chick is going to get shrink wrapped and/or injured by the turner. The turner isn't on as I just use it for holding the eggs. There is another egg that has a crack as well, but neither pipped in the air cell. Should I open again to place some coconut oil on the cracks in hopes of it seeping down and lubricating the membrane? Should I quickly move the remaining eggs into the hatcher and place a warm damp washcloth in with them?
Just curious what you did.

We don't hatch very many, but when we do want to add to our flock we just let one of our broody Silkie's take care of the eggs... they are great mom's and we've luckily had 100% success with our Silkie moms.

Mine was so hard to find! Have you checked with any nearby TSCs? I found mine at a TSC an hour away, we had them hold it and drove to pick it up. Their websites aren't always reliable, the one i found mine at said "out of stock" on the website. I called to check and, sure enough they had one. It was the last one though. You might get lucky and find one!

That's exactly how I acquired my NR360. I called around to every store that I could find. I missed the last one at my local TSC by one day!!! I finally found one a little over an hour away and immediately got in the car to go pick it up. Once I got it home I was a little sad because I thought that ver. 1.0NU was an older version and I knew they'd updated a lot of things. After more digging around on the internet, I found that this is the latest version.
Incuview contacted me and we're trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am the type that immediately thinks "USER error" anytime something goes wrong, but I have checked everything.
@MGG
To add to that, I was looking over my planner and noticed that tomorrow is Day 18 for 6 of the eggs that I had to move into the NR360, when the Incuview started overheating. I moved any egg that looked like it had development and figured I'd deal with the losses, later. Well, after realizing that lockdown was tomorrow, I figured I'd go candle the eggs just in case. It's a good thing I did! At least 3, possibly even 4 of the now Day 17 eggs have live chicks moving around!!! I am beyond excited but nervous because the risk of losing them is still so high. What should I do? The Incuview hasn't spiked again and I've kept it running, just to see what happens. I don't know what else to do, except for put them back into the Incuview. I don't want to ruin my Spitz eggs with high humidity needed for lockdown of these eggs, if it's needed (I messaged the seller to find out typical hatch day and lockdown humidity used in best hatches for this breed). Any ideas?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom