Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
I lost the other chick. She was already passed. The membrane wasn't stuck, but she was crazily positioned and possibly stuck. It was the breed that I purchased the eggs for. My daughter has been dreaming of showgirls. The chick hadn't absorbed all of the blood or yolk either. I feel sick. We just buried it

I lost the other chick. She was already passed. The membrane wasn't stuck, but she was crazily positioned and possibly stuck. It was the breed that I purchased the eggs for. My daughter has been dreaming of showgirls. The chick hadn't absorbed all of the blood or yolk either. I feel sick. We just buried it
Oh, I'm so sorry. The blue chick that hatched is a showgirl, right? I'm really sorry. :hugs :hit

Oh, I'm so sorry. The blue chick that hatched is a showgirl, right? I'm really sorry. :hugs :hit

The blue chick now looks to be partridge (which I LOVE) and it's an adorable silkie. She's all alone so far as the last 2 eggs haven't hatched yet. I've given her a knotted cloth and a teeny tiny little stuffed whale. I'll give her a mirror tomorrow. I have a broody silkie that's raising 3 Dutch chicks. I'd love to put "Fancy Nancy" with them, but they hatched on June 19th, so that's a pretty big age difference. I'm going to look for some hatching eggs that are local, so I'll look for a chick or two as well, to be a buddy for Fancy

I woke up to some of the quietest peeps coming from the incubator!I've been praying for at least one other hatch from this batch. Today is day 21. Fancy was sound asleep this morning after a long lonely day. Prayerfully, she'll be joined by a flockmate today! I've got to work so I'll be checking in as much as possible. Humidity and temp are both stable and right where they're supposed to be. 99.6 & 70% in the Brinsea, since I had already moved those eggs, I didn't want to move them again.

The blue chick now looks to be partridge (which I LOVE) and it's an adorable silkie. She's all alone so far as the last 2 eggs haven't hatched yet. I've given her a knotted cloth and a teeny tiny little stuffed whale. I'll give her a mirror tomorrow. I have a broody silkie that's raising 3 Dutch chicks. I'd love to put "Fancy Nancy" with them, but they hatched on June 19th, so that's a pretty big age difference. I'm going to look for some hatching eggs that are local, so I'll look for a chick or two as well, to be a buddy for Fancy
Aw! Partridge silkies are super pretty. I love her name 😂 Yeah, I think the Dutch chicks are definitely too old by now. Good luck in your search for some local eggs! I think it will definitely be worth trying.

I woke up to some of the quietest peeps coming from the incubator!I've been praying for at least one other hatch from this batch. Today is day 21. Fancy was sound asleep this morning after a long lonely day. Prayerfully, she'll be joined by a flockmate today! I've got to work so I'll be checking in as much as possible. Humidity and temp are both stable and right where they're supposed to be. 99.6 & 70% in the Brinsea, since I had already moved those eggs, I didn't want to move them again.
Awesome! Is the egg the peeps are coming from externally pipped yet? It would be great if little Fancy Nancy could have a chick exactly her age for company. Hopefully this one hatches!

The Spitzhauben eggs arrived. My post office scanned them and placed them on their shelf at 8:39am this morning. I picked them up at 3:45pm and brought them straight home. Should it be ok to go ahead and set them now, since they've basically been resting all day?

I'm not giving up on the silkie/show girl eggs yet. I won't be incubating upright in an egg carton anymore. They'll go in like the incubator manufacturers designed them to do. I feel like that is the problem and could possibly cause problems for any and all eggs, even if they were laid down at some point. My thermometers are good and I believe this is the problem, plus the fact that bantams can be more fragile. Does this sound like a good plan for me? I've moved my incubators to a spare bedroom with ac vents close and door only opened whenever I go in to check on things, so that will help with fluctuations in room temp. If after these changes, I will then try to have eggs shipped elsewhere. I did win a bid on some eggs that aren't too far away, so I will be picking them up. This should be a good chance to test that theory. I have decided to let my Marans be the test here. She's a big strong girl with easily identifiable eggs. I do worry if my blue silkie cockerel can effectively mate with her though. He certainly tries, hahaha!

The Spitzhauben eggs arrived. My post office scanned them and placed them on their shelf at 8:39am this morning. I picked them up at 3:45pm and brought them straight home. Should it be ok to go ahead and set them now, since they've basically been resting all day?

I'm not giving up on the silkie/show girl eggs yet. I won't be incubating upright in an egg carton anymore. They'll go in like the incubator manufacturers designed them to do. I feel like that is the problem and could possibly cause problems for any and all eggs, even if they were laid down at some point. My thermometers are good and I believe this is the problem, plus the fact that bantams can be more fragile. Does this sound like a good plan for me? I've moved my incubators to a spare bedroom with ac vents close and door only opened whenever I go in to check on things, so that will help with fluctuations in room temp. If after these changes, I will then try to have eggs shipped elsewhere. I did win a bid on some eggs that aren't too far away, so I will be picking them up. This should be a good chance to test that theory. I have decided to let my Marans be the test here. She's a big strong girl with easily identifiable eggs. I do worry if my blue silkie cockerel can effectively mate with her though. He certainly tries, hahaha!
Sounds perfect! How do the air cells look on your Spitzs? Did you calibrate your thermometers yet? I think if it were me, I'd rest the Spitzs for an hour, put them in, turn the turner off, and then plug it in tomorrow morning. That should be good. The turner being off overnight won't hurt them at all, and it will help them settle. Just make sure you plug the turner in tomorrow. Don't forget! Lol. That should get you off to a good start. What kind of eggs did you win the bid on? Sounds awesome. Your Marans girl sounds like a perfect fit. Is she a Black Copper or some other variety? The Marans X Silkie will be awesome looking! How old is your silkie? You should probably crack one of her eggs in a couple days to check for the blastoderm. If you post a pic of it it should be easy to tell. Then you'll know for sure if it worked. My buff brahma bantam roo fertilizes all of my eggs. My hens are all LF, and include a huge cochin hen. He does great. Don't doubt your little guy's abilities. Lol! In 3 or so days crack an egg and we'll see how it looks.

Also, you might try leaving the eggs in the NR the whole time, including hatching. Maybe moving to the Brinsea is part of your problem? :idunno

Back
Top Bottom