Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

I have thought about the cartons causing some problems, even though I cut the sides way down low and cut out the bottom. The incubator isn't designed to properly incubate like this, so I am so happy to hear you mention this
I have always been suspicious of incubating upright. I like to just do them on their sides. I've never had any bad hatch rates so it must work ok. If you get any more eggs maybe try it. It might help.

I ordered eggs from CA to NC . Did you put yours straight in incubator without cooling them for 24 hours at 65F? Will receive my eggs this week and want to do the best I can

That's my exact reason for leaving it in while I hand turn
If you do any more eggs, (get some cheaper ones) rest them, and then I would try just putting them in the turner, turning it on, and let it run. Just be sure to check the water ports often. I'm wondering if you might be getting some hot and cold spots. Do you rotate the egg's places in the incubator?

Definitely calibrate. I put mine insealed Ziploc bags, and submerge them in a tall cup mostly full of crushed ice and a bit of cold water. Not much water though. Give them at least 10 minutes, check, and if at 32 you can take them out. If not, leave them longer. 30 minutes at most. If tgey won't go down to 32 try the ice bath again. If it won't go to 32 I'd discontinue using it. Only use ones that go down to 32.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the easiest way I found this explained! I'm not an idiot but I have really bad ADHD and reading things that have lots of instructions can be a challenge, especially now that I have taken a break from adhd meds. Thank you so much! I will be checking them all after I get chickens and ducks up tonight. I can't thank you enough for this. I realize that I probably make myself sound really uneducated but I get all messed up every time I try to learn about checking for accuracy/calibrating.

I ordered eggs from CA to NC . Did you put yours straight in incubator without cooling them for 24 hours at 65F? Will receive my eggs this week and want to do the best I can
Well, you don't want to cool them. Keep them around 70 (at room temp). I rest mine for about 7-8 hours, and then put them in.

I have always been suspicious of incubating upright. I like to just do them on their sides. I've never had any bad hatch rates so it must work ok. If you get any more eggs maybe try it. It might help.
I have eggs being delivered tomorrow morning and I have some incubating upright now. I'm going to lay them all on their sides. It can't be worse than what's going on now

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the easiest way I found this explained! I'm not an idiot but I have really bad ADHD and reading things that have lots of instructions can be a challenge, especially now that I have taken a break from adhd meds. Thank you so much! I will be checking them all after I get chickens and ducks up tonight. I can't thank you enough for this. I realize that I probably make myself sound really uneducated but I get all messed up every time I try to learn about checking for accuracy/calibrating.
Aw, you're welcome. I had the same problem you do. There's so much info on calibrating out there and it overwhelmed me. I came up with "my own method". It is the same as how most people do it, but I had to figure it out through trial and error. This method works for me.

If you do any more eggs, (get some cheaper ones) rest them, and then I would try just putting them in the turner, turning it on, and let it run. Just be sure to check the water ports often. I'm wondering if you might be getting some hot and cold spots. Do you rotate the egg's places in the incubator?
I do rotate but in all honesty, I haven't always done this. I just started about 2 weeks ago.
Do I need to let the eggs rest for 24 hours or just go ahead and place them in the incubator? These eggs are coming from TX & we're delivered on Thursday

I have eggs being delivered tomorrow morning and I have some incubating upright now. I'm going to lay them all on their sides. It can't be worse than what's going on now
I really hope it goes ok. What breed are these? How far have they traveled? Fingers crossed for you. I'm so sorry you're going through this much difficulty. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom