Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
I am not sure what day since my mom tucked the egg under her, and we forgot exactly what day that was. From the development it will be soon though, a few days if that. I just checked it about hour ago and panicked because it wasn't moving, so I make a little hole to peer in. It has not internally pipped, then it woke up. Me: "Yay! But Argh, why didn't you move earlier so I wouldn't panic and make a hole!" I put tape over the hole and tucked it back under Momma.
So it is for sure damage from the hens, we kept putting hay under the egg but it is a favorite nesting box even with all the new ones I'd made. She'd end up with other hens in there. Not ideal. I really need to get another broody coop, the ones I have are all full with chicks and other mommas! Need a broody break coop, actually. My mom said, "I've had chickens for years and I've NEVER seen so many chickens go broody!" It's the breeds I like. :)
Sorry for hijacking the thread, I didn't mean to!

There's no need to apologize at all. I don't mind you posting here and certainly don't consider you hijacking. I'm happy that you received the help you needed. Any and everyone will always be welcome on any thread I post :)

Fancy Nancy - they're in my daughter's nursery (she's 8 years old so actually just a spare bedroom now) and the walls are pink. I forgot about the pink causing colors to look off whenever I take pictures in this room. In real life, she does look dark brown with a black body. She's 8 days old now.
20200704_190159.jpg

I believe this Naked Neck is a cockerel when comparing it to the other one. Of course at this young age, it's just a guess. This one is my daughter's favorite and she's named it "Vulture" as it does resemble one. It's 1.5 weeks old.
20200704_190307.jpg

The pink walls are making this chick look yellow, but in real life it's white and blue. This is a tiny chick, but keeps up with the older bigger chicks. It's 5 days old now.
20200704_190544.jpg

I'll post the other two chicks in just a few minutes. My daughter needs something

Fancy Nancy - they're in my daughter's nursery (she's 8 years old so actually just a spare bedroom now) and the walls are pink. I forgot about the pink causing colors to look off whenever I take pictures in this room. In real life, she does look dark brown with a black body. She's 8 days old now.
View attachment 2229449
I believe this Naked Neck is a cockerel when comparing it to the other one. Of course at this young age, it's just a guess. This one is my daughter's favorite and she's named it "Vulture" as it does resemble one. It's 1.5 weeks old.
View attachment 2229453
The pink walls are making this chick look yellow, but in real life it's white and blue. This is a tiny chick, but keeps up with the older bigger chicks. It's 5 days old now.
View attachment 2229457

I'll post the other two chicks in just a few minutes. My daughter needs something
They're adorable! Oh yeah, the pink walls are probably affecting the pictures. They're so cute.
I thought of something I would really love... if any of your Spitz eggs hatch, once they start laying I would absolutely love a couple hatching eggs. ❤

Last edited:
They're adorable! Oh yeah, the pink walls are probably affecting the pictures. They're so cute.
I thought of something I would really love... if any of your Spitz eggs hatch, once they start laying I would absolutely love a couple hatching eggs. ❤

I would love to send you some! It's the least I could do for all of your help. I'm not sure when they'll be here, but I have some Brabanter (a few cream and a few gold) hatching eggs that should be shipped to me in the very near future. If I get a pair, you're welcome to some eggs from them as well. Here's hoping my hatch rates improve. Crests are my weakness, hahaha

I would love to send you some! It's the least I could do for all of your help. I'm not sure when they'll be here, but I have some Brabanter (a few cream and a few gold) hatching eggs that should be shipped to me in the very near future. If I get a pair, you're welcome to some eggs from them as well. Here's hoping my hatch rates improve. Crests are my weakness, hahaha
Awesome! I would absolutely love that. Brabanters are awesome too. Especially the cream ❤
My dad isn't a big fan of the chickens, (how?!?!, lol) but he actually thinks the Spitzs are really cool. I would absolutely love some if you get a pair. I love crested birds too! I thought about just ordering some spitz hatching eggs 😂

If you don't mind me asking, do you have a link to the eggs you bought? I'd like some nice quality ones, and I've fallen in love with them so I'm considering ordering some. I'm not too patient, lol.

I don't mind at all. I'm not sure about the quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164259188638

This is the link to the eggs (hopefully I shared the correct link) I purchased and they were packed really well and shipped quickly. I apologize for the delay in replying.

I don't mind at all. I'm not sure about the quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164259188638

This is the link to the eggs (hopefully I shared the correct link) I purchased and they were packed really well and shipped quickly. I apologize for the delay in replying.
It says "no longer available". No problem though. I'm just going to wait I think. How are all of your eggs? Any internal pips? Have you candled the Spitzs yet? How's little Fancy?

I did the humidity like the seller advised and I'm pretty sure I lost them all. Apparently this breed is super sensitive to humidity changes. It's my fault for not looking into it thoroughly. I just feel so bad for the chicks. I'm feeling extremely challenged mentally and emotionally and really disappointed in myself. Too afraid to touch any other eggs. So they're in the incubator still and I'm keeping an eye on them. I tried to candle without touching the Spitz eggs and really couldn't see much yet. With the way things have went, there is no telling if they'll develop. I really hope they do but I feel like the problem here has to be human error on my part to lose so many eggs. I've got a few more "clutches" that should be delivered sometime soon but I'm not in a hurry. I apologize for being so negative as I am normally not like this at all. I am a big old softie though. Fancy is doing well, thankfully. I did lose one of her flockmates and that's been like a knife through my heart. I know that death happens, but I wasn't expecting to be so crushed by it.

I did the humidity like the seller advised and I'm pretty sure I lost them all. Apparently this breed is super sensitive to humidity changes. It's my fault for not looking into it thoroughly. I just feel so bad for the chicks. I'm feeling extremely challenged mentally and emotionally and really disappointed in myself. Too afraid to touch any other eggs. So they're in the incubator still and I'm keeping an eye on them. I tried to candle without touching the Spitz eggs and really couldn't see much yet. With the way things have went, there is no telling if they'll develop. I really hope they do but I feel like the problem here has to be human error on my part to lose so many eggs. I've got a few more "clutches" that should be delivered sometime soon but I'm not in a hurry. I apologize for being so negative as I am normally not like this at all. I am a big old softie though. Fancy is doing well, thankfully. I did lose one of her flockmates and that's been like a knife through my heart. I know that death happens, but I wasn't expecting to be so crushed by it.
What breed were they? I'm sorry. Keep trying, don't give up. Hatching is a learning curve. I lost chicks when I first started too. It happens. Don't give up on your eggs either. You might still have a couple hatch. I'm sorry you lost one of Fancy's flockmates. I'm here if you need to just talk. I'm sorry. It will get better, I promise. :hugs
If you want to post pics of the eggs I'll take a look at them. Really watch for any veins or movement, and don't pull any yet.

Back
Top Bottom