Please help-Easter egger suddenly developed large growth below ear...any ideas?

I wasn’t able to try the Benadryl until this afternoon but when i went out to the coop to give it to Willow, the swelling had gone down and the lump was only about half its original size. I had a hard time getting her to take to pill (in a grape) and I’m not sure she got it all. Will see how she looks tomorrow. Thank you for all your help.

Ticks can inject a blood thinner that causes bleeding into the tissue, and may look bluish like a bruise. There have been quite a few of those posted about here. Ticks can spread some bad diseases, so I would look around for ticks in the coop, and think about spraying with permethrin.
Realized today when I checked the spray we have that it is permethrin and we have been using it. Any suggestions as to how often we should spray it? I have also used DE sprinkled around the coop but not sure if that helps or not. We do have a red ant problem out there right now. I don’t think the permethrin kills fire ants. Could fire ants be responsible for this problem with Willow? If permethrin doesn’t kill them what do you recommend for them? I could use Amdro pellets but only around the outside as I would not want the hens to eat it. Thank you!

Be careful with DE (diatomataceous earth,) since it can irritate both chicken and human lungs and eyes. I don’t use it.

I never use it when there is any kind of wind. If I put it in the coop, it's when they are not present nor will be present for a few hours. I made that mistake once and boy did I feel it in my lungs. It was not pleasant, but I've learned how to use it properly now.

I am not sure if fire ants could have been the culprit of not. It is really great that the swelling is down. Apparently, fire ants are very difficult to get rid of. Getting rid of the queens is the most effective way. Permethrin, pyrethrins, carbaryl (Sevin,) and spinosad are some products that kill fire ants. The first 2 kill immediately. Here is where I got my information:
http://articles.extension.org/pages/14345/fire-ant-control:-the-two-step-method-and-other-approaches
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom