Please help-Easter egger suddenly developed large growth below ear...any ideas?

Cricketnd

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2018
Central Florida
FAB8C2F5-1002-4D94-9125-776D636347A8.jpeg
C2574EF1-67F6-4AE7-A2BB-166F96D12AA1.jpeg
91128577-E8B6-46AB-87FC-0B7AB4E3C5EA.jpeg
DDC8476E-EF4F-4FBB-B6AB-0B6B1FE30B9E.jpeg
CAC52564-8F81-4303-9015-B0F62FA602D7.jpeg
3876F4DC-0EFC-4D55-B3A3-48F6914C28AD.jpeg
469D81A2-6B73-41B8-82C0-0E987C720B33.jpeg
Hi everyone-We have 4 chickens that are about 6 months old. We have an Ameracauna, a barred rock, a buff orpington, and a RIR. They started laying eggs about a month ago. Today, the Ameracauna-named Willow-developed a golf ball-sized lump below her right ear. It was not there yesterday. Her comb looks a bit swollen to me as well and I did notice that about Wednesday of last week. I think that might be related, but these are my daughter’s chickens, and I mentioned that I thought the comb looked puffy and not as bright red as it should, and she thought it was fine. Neither of us are experts but I trusted her that it was normal for Willow. The lump is soft to the touch and it is mostly bald but has some feathers starting to grow out of it. I have no idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Willow let me hold her and touch the spot. She is not the most social anyway but seems to behave normally for her when I picked her up. I am attaching pictures. Thank you for your advice and ideas!

Ticks can inject a blood thinner that causes bleeding into the tissue, and may look bluish like a bruise. There have been quite a few of those posted about here. Ticks can spread some bad diseases, so I would look around for ticks in the coop, and think about spraying with permethrin.

Last edited:
You can pull the wattles down and and put it into the back of the throat. Or crush it into a little scrambled egg, slip it into some liverwurst or chicken. Just make sure she eats it.

Ticks can inject a blood thinner that causes bleeding into the tissue, and may look bluish like a bruise. There have been quite a few of those posted about here. Ticks can spread some bad diseases, so I would look around for ticks in the coop, and think about spraying with permethrin.
Thank you! We will have to check for ticks tomorrow when it’s brighter outside. I will look into getting the spray. Do I need to be concerned that she may have a tick-borne disease already? Are her eggs safe to eat? All 4 chickens are laying brown eggs so not even sure which are hers.

The lump does look bluish as you can see from the pictures. Does the comb look normal to you?

The comb looks flopped over which can be common in some breeds, and it has some marks on it that could be pecking or injury, or possibly insect bites on the tips. I wouldn’t worry about tick born illnesses at this time. I have read where they are more rare in the US. Let us know how or if the benadryl helps, or if there are other symptoms that might be something else.

Back
Top Bottom