Please Help! Eye Problem that Won't Go Away!

Krazy4Chicks

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2014
Castaic, California
I've been dealing with eye issues with my one Silkie Hen for about 4 weeks now. Here's a link to the original post on this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1022971/sick-hens-please-help-puffy-crusty-eyes.

Both of her eyes continue to be swollen, red inside the eyelids, and have what looks like white mucus/pus inside. She does tend to scratch at them. I'm afraid she is starting to go blind, as she's losing distance perception. When I put scratch down, she tries to peck at it, but she's pecks about an inch or two above the ground. But if I put some in my palm, close to her face, she's able to peck it out of my palm. I'm so afraid that she won't get the food she needs if she can't see what she's pecking at. The last few days she hasn't come down the ladder to her run area --- I think she's afraid because she's not seeing well.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Tylan 50 Injectible (given orally) 2x per day for 5 days
Cleaning eyes with saline solution and applying Terramycin Ointment for 10 days: then stopping, and applying again now for 5 days.

And I did worm her and the other birds with Valbazen (1st and 2nd dose) just a few weeks ago.

Here's what she looks like now:

Unfortunately, this picture doesn't really show how swollen her eyes really are. She was feeling camera shy and this was the best I could get for now. Much of the time, she just sits with her eyes closed. :(

I've read about eye worms --- could that possibly be what she's dealing with? I don't actually see worms, but she's difficult to hold still to look inside really well. And if it's not eye worms, would there be any issues if I at least tried treating her with Valbazen in her eyes. And if I treat with Valbazen, how would I dose it?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Valbazen dose is 1 cc orally for standard fowl, 1/2 cc for bantams, repeated in 10 days. There is a 10 day withdrawal for eggs.

There are a few potentially serious infections chickens can get that can have chronic eye and/or upper respiratory signs - such as Mycoplasma and Coryza. Check through this link for some of the diseases to consider

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Valbazen dose is 1 cc orally for standard fowl, 1/2 cc for bantams, repeated in 10 days. There is a 10 day withdrawal for eggs.

There are a few potentially serious infections chickens can get that can have chronic eye and/or upper respiratory signs - such as Mycoplasma and Coryza. Check through this link for some of the diseases to consider

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thanks for your response, but I've already wormed them orally with Valbazen. I had read that if they get eye worms, you can treat the actual eye itself with Valbazen. Just wondering if that would be harmful to do if it's not actually eye worms. And if not, how would I dose it for each eye?

There's no sneezing or wheezing to indicate a URI; however, I did end up treating her already with a course of Tylan 50 (orally) for 5 days in the event it may be MG. With this going on for over a month, I'm not thinking Coryza --- plus there's no smell. Maybe I should try another antibiotic?

Sorry that she is still having problems with her eyes. It might be time to see a vet for an eye culture, or get her tested to find out what disease she has. She could have E.coli or some bacteria that is resistant to Tylan (tylosin,) and a vet could prescribe an eye drop different than Terramycin.
Eye worm is pretty rare, but Valbazen can be used to treat in a 1:1 dilution in the eyes, then give Valbazen 1/2 ml orally. Then repeat both again in 10 days. I hope you can get her well soon.

Sorry that she is still having problems with her eyes. It might be time to see a vet for an eye culture, or get her tested to find out what disease she has. She could have E.coli or some bacteria that is resistant to Tylan (tylosin,) and a vet could prescribe an eye drop different than Terramycin.
Eye worm is pretty rare, but Valbazen can be used to treat in a 1:1 dilution in the eyes, then give Valbazen 1/2 ml orally. Then repeat both again in 10 days. I hope you can get her well soon.
Thanks for your response. I feel so bad for this little sweetie -- she's been thru so much. Unfortunately, we don't have a vet nearby that treats chickens, so I'd like to try treating her on my own, if possible. Anyway, if it won't hurt her, I am willing try using the Valbazen/Water solution in her eyes. I already wormed her with the Valbazen orally a few weeks ago (both doses 10 days apart), so do I need to do that again?

On the chance her problem is a sinus infection, which has similar symptoms, I would treat with an ocular antibiotic and an ocular steroid, and maybe an anti-inflammatory.

A great place to find all three of these ocular drops is in the medicine cabinet of anyone who has finished with recent cataract surgery.

I have an aging Brahma hen who has had two such infections and I treated them successfully with my left over cataract eye drops, along with an oral anti-biotic. Since then, other people have given me their leftover eye drops to keep on hand for just such a recurrence.

On the chance her problem is a sinus infection, which has similar symptoms, I would treat with an ocular antibiotic and an ocular steroid, and maybe an anti-inflammatory.

A great place to find all three of these ocular drops is in the medicine cabinet of anyone who has finished with recent cataract surgery.

I have an aging Brahma hen who has had two such infections and I treated them successfully with my left over cataract eye drops, along with an oral anti-biotic. Since then, other people have given me their leftover eye drops to keep on hand for just such a recurrence.

First State Vet Supply sells Cipro drops and one with a steroid. No prescription needed.
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/#/category/199

-Kathy

First State Vet Supply sells Cipro drops and one with a steroid. No prescription needed.
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/#/category/199

-Kathy
My German Shepherd is on an ophthalmic ointment for his chronic eye issues (the vet couldn't figure out what the problem is, so just put him on this ointment). It's called Neomycin & Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone --- any harm in trying this in her eyes?

I would get the Cipro drops that Casportpony recommends. I actually was looking for that medicine she had recommended on another thread. The eye ointment you have is the same as Neosporin plus a steroid anti-inflammatory. That could work, but the Cipro would be a better antibiotic. You could use the one while you are waiting on the other to come in the mail, I suppose. Be sure to flush the eye with saline first if it is gunky.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom