Please help Flower - mucus, limp, raspy breathing *pics*

phoenixmama

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
1) What type of bird , age and weight.

-19 wk old Cuckoo Maran pullet, maybe 1-2 lbs?

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

-Completely limp, rasping/rattles when she breathes, smelly mucus-like substance in mouth

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

-no

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

-stung by bark scorpion two days ago, administered benedryl, she acted fine for last 2 days...i don't know if that is relevant

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

-I just have her a few droplets of a benadryl/water/corn syrup mixture in case she was stung by another scorpion

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

-?

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

-See #4

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

-I'm up for anything

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

-free range outside in a large (1500 sq. ft. run)

3627650418_73ff71fdc2.jpg

Flower on my lap...mucus running out of her mouth onto my pants
3627681270_e18bbc3131.jpg

Last edited:
Get a bottle of pedialyte (electrolytes) and use plain water in the meantime. Do you know ~how much Benadryl you've administered? Do you know if it was a Bark Scorpion?

Homemade electrolytes:

Electrolyte formula:7g sodium chloride (NaCl, common salt)5g sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)3g potassium chloride (commonly called "Muriate of Potash". Salt substitutes contain mostly potassium chloride)40g glucose (a common source is corn syrup)2 litres water.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Ivan...

I don't know for sure if it was another bark scorpion sting or not. When that happened a few days ago, I dissolved 1 25 mg Benedryl tablet in 1 T. of water. I have her 1 mL of that solution...which works out to be (I think) around 1.7 mg. It was enough to calm her down...not enough to make her go to sleep.

The only thing I could think of this evening when I found her, was another sting...especially since she's totally limp. The only thing that is throwing me is the raspy breathing and all the mucus coming out of her mouth.

*Sigh* Poor Flower...I really hope she pulls through.

I was looking at symptoms of Bark Scorpion envenomation and congestion of the lungs in small mammals (and susceptible humans) is one of the symptoms (chooks as well?).

I've no idea if anyone has ever used an epi-pen on a chook for this.

Poor girl, good luck to both of you.

Last edited:
Poor thing she looks horrible. I don't think it would bother her 2 days after she was acting fine from the scorpion. Are you sure she didn't get stung again? Did she act at all like this when she was stung a few days ago?

Do you notice a smell from her nasal discharge? If so coryza would be the direction to go. I wish I could help, she looks so bad. I would certainly keep her separated from the rest of the flock in case she is contagious. Maybe she had something latent and with the sting, it took over?

Good luck.

hugs.gif

I see where you answered some of the questions while I was writing this-disregard those please!

Last edited:
did you try giving her benadryl again tonight? how soon after the sting did you give her the benadryl the last time? Maybe its possible this is what the other one would have looked like if you didn't do it as soon as you did? I don't know I am just throwing things out trying to help.

annek:

When she was stung a few days ago, I gave her Benadryl within 20 minutes. My thoughts were the same as yours...that maybe she was stung again, and this is how bad she would have been if I hadn't gotten her Benadryl so quickly the first time.

As far as the mucusey stuff coming out of her mouth, yes...it is rather smelly actually. I didn't mention it the first time because I have what my husband calls a "super sniffer". I smell things that no one else does...so I thought it was just my sensitive sense of smell again. Hmm...what is coryza? Off to google it!

Oh yes, and she is seperated. I was worried that the others might start pecking at her if I left her be. Not to mention, I didn't want the fire ants to go to town on her. *shudder*

here is a link to a site on it, I have never had it but I have been trying to do some reading on diseases and the symptoms just seemed to fit. I don't know what the smell is like just that they say once you smell it you will always be able to tell it. I will see what else I can find out about it for you. I wish I knew what the smell was like so you could tell.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm

Back
Top Bottom