Please Help - Found Chicken Lying on its Side, Will not/Cannot Walk

Have you tried to put her beak into the water? Just far enough that it does not cover her nostrils. If she still does not drink after several attempts you could try breaking up some white bread and put some water on it. Just enough water to soak the bread. I feed my chickens bread sometimes so they love it.
If she does not like the bread then you could try well cooked rice and you could add a little sugar to it if you like.

Last edited:
I have tried dipping her beak. She doesn't like it. When I first brought her in from outside, she drank readily - just for a bit. Afterwards, she doesn't seem interested in water. The mash, however, she's enjoying very much. I just put more water so it's a lot soupier, rather than a thick porridge and she is still eating. I still don't think it's enough fluid for a 3 month old chick but better than nothing I suppose. I may add sugar to see if that piques her interest.

She pooped a couple of times and they seemed normal. I didn't see any worms or anything out of the ordinary.

Marek's or Mycotoxin poisoning - either one, I hope she makes it through healthier and stronger than before. Thank you all for your advice and concern. I will keep updating as she progresses for better or worse.

How is your pullet?
pop.gif
Curious what it is. Really hope she pulls through.

Dipping the beak does not always work, especially on a man-shy chicken. They will seal their beaks like a clam.
lol.png
If you are making the food more soupier than she is probably getting enough. As long as everything else seems normal, like her crop, poop, and weight. Water requirements seem to differ on each chicken and also differ do to environment. An obvious example in the summer my chickens drink more than in winter. Having her inside can have an part in how much water she needs/wants. I have found that if I use the same waters all the time and then change the shape or color then about half of my chickens get confused. They have to learn by example or by me sloshing the water around. If not then in a day or two they will try it out and find that it is water. Just hang in there and try not to freak out too much.

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear of your sick chicken. I got my babies in March of 2009. I had one chicken do the same thing. I did have them all vaccinated for Marek's before they were shipped to me. Now at roughly 4 months of age my rooster Jack had the same issues. He was totally lame and could not stand on his own, he would eat and didn't want to drink. I did lots and lots of research and after feeding him a egg yoke, yogurt, honey, calcium powder and oatmeal diet along with his regular food, and gave him vitamins in his water. I had to force him to drink his water at first but I used a New syringe that I always seem to have on hand for this sort of thing, but with a lot of hard work on both mine and Jack's part, he started walking 2 months after he went lame. I believe it was Rickets which is a calcuim deficiancy and where he was young I was afraid to give my babies anything extra except their food.

Try researching Ricketts and I don't know if it is spelled right, but someone knows something about it. I to was afraid it was Marek's but having noone else had any of the symptons and to this day he is just perfect, because how many roos can you pick up and carry around without them trying to ripe out your eyes, etc....

I hope this may be the problem and it is a fixable problem if it is, but it will take some extra time from your day, but I made sure that my boy made it, and yes I almost gave up on him and then the next week he was sitting on his legs.

gosh I hope the problems is this and not something else.

cause I would love to see your little girl

best of luck to you and your girl and keep a watch on your other ones also.

lisa

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear of your sick chicken. I got my babies in March of 2009. I had one chicken do the same thing. I did have them all vaccinated for Marek's before they were shipped to me. Now at roughly 4 months of age my rooster Jack had the same issues. He was totally lame and could not stand on his own, he would eat and didn't want to drink. I did lots and lots of research and after feeding him a egg yoke, yogurt, honey, calcium powder and oatmeal diet along with his regular food, and gave him vitamins in his water. I had to force him to drink his water at first but I used a New syringe that I always seem to have on hand for this sort of thing, but with a lot of hard work on both mine and Jack's part, he started walking 2 months after he went lame. I believe it was Rickets which is a calcuim deficiancy and where he was young I was afraid to give my babies anything extra except their food.

Try researching Ricketts and I don't know if it is spelled right, but someone knows something about it. I to was afraid it was Marek's but having noone else had any of the symptons and to this day he is just perfect, because how many roos can you pick up and carry around without them trying to ripe out your eyes, etc....

I hope this may be the problem and it is a fixable problem if it is, but it will take some extra time from your day, but I made sure that my boy made it, and yes I almost gave up on him and then the next week he was sitting on his legs.

gosh I hope the problems is this and not something else.

cause I would love to see your little girl

best of luck to you and your girl and keep a watch on your other ones also.

lisa

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Chickerdoodle,

She's still eating relatively well today. Not really drinking but she enjoys the mash. After re-reading your post, I'm not sure if you were asking what her condition might be or what breed she might be? If the condition, I still do not know. She seems to be in good spirits since whenever I walk in to check on her, feed her, make sure she's comfortable, etc. she bok boks softly.

If you were asking about her breed, she's a beautiful Cuckoo Marans. I am so looking forward to seeing her dark chocolate brown eggs if we can make it through this.

Quote:
Oh, Lisa, this is so very encouraging (albeit simultaneously sad). I am so happy to hear that your roo has recovered especially with your perfect care. I would definitely like to hear more about the regimen you provided. I appreciate your providing your email, but if it is OK with you, I'd prefer to keep our conversation in the forum in the hope that the information we share will help others in the future. This is definitely not a snub but I respectfully ask if you will agree to this.

As a quick update, I noticed today that our little Cuckoo was able to kick with both legs, rather forcefully I might add. She still lies on one side but she is definitely not paralyzed. Of course, I have no idea what Marek's looks like but I would think that paralysis means zero movement at all. Anyone?

If this indeed is some sort of vitamin deficiency, at least I know it is treatable. Whether we are successful or not remains to be seen.

Did you use TriVisol or PolyViSol? With or without iron? I'll have to look into Rickets.... Thank you so much for your suggestions and encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom