Please help! Gasping, lots of watery stools, honking, sneezing

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
I posted a little while ago but haven’t been able to get a response. None of the vets near me are open, the emergency vets don’t see chickens. We caught the chicken bare handed and isolated it, we washed hands with soap in the hose and then went trick or treating while I called vets within 2 hours of us. No one Can see the chicken and I’m concerned about contagions. I cannot figure out how to share a video here so that you can hear. Since going in the crate an hour ago fluffy seems to have defecated several times its loose and watery. We just changed from crumbles to laying pellets two days ago. I refilled their water today and rinsed it but have not washed it with soap recently. We use the deep litter method in the coop and they free range 3 days a week and in the afternoons along with their time in the run while we are at work. I need to know what steps to take. Reading online says wash all the clothes in hot water, wear gloves and masks when handling the sock chicken, etc. I want to help my chicken but I also want to protect my family and the rest of the flock. I really need some advice as soon as possible. Thank you for anything you can share.

How do I approach this?
You'd have to get a wide spectrum antibiotic that can be in powder or liquid and injectable form. I don't know what brands off hand. While you're treating, feather baby should also be on a probiotics regiment. Ensure proper ventilation when they are in the coop as well, check for damp and moldy areas and replace.

Does this mean there is hope to save the chicken. I had read another poster said first sign of respiratory infection you should cull. They are just approaching laying age, I’d hate to lose them

Does this mean there is hope to save the chicken. I had read another poster said first sign of respiratory infection you should cull. They are just approaching laying age, I’d hate to lose them
Of course they can be 'saved', people that cull at the first sign of disease have other motives I fully believe and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not into egg production, meat or anything else other then having them as pets so I tend to at least try. I can't give you a great outcome, depending on what 'issue' it is depends on if they'll carry it for life and make it a constant issue or shed it. There are several respiratory issues with birds and a lot of them are infectious to your others which is the horrifying part. I think the mortality rate is around 20%-80% ish depending. But, if you want to try then try for sure if nothing else you'll gain valuable experience for the future. If its suffering without hope or the quality of life is in question, cull for sure.

If you ever have this again...keep a bottle of sulfa powder on hand. One bag lasts quite a long time but keep it sealed so it doesn't lose its potency over time. Add to water. I use a smaller water dish so it's concentrated and keep it away from the others unless you want to treat the whole flock. I think if one is sick and you don't know what pathogen it is...it's good idea to treat all of them. Pathogens spread like wildfire in coops and small flocks. Especially if they are confined to smaller spaces during the winter wet months. Breeds bacteria and viruses and prevents a bigger nightmare. If you don't have any sulfa on hand (order it now, keep it on hand, should take 2-3 days now shipping and ask for usps or priority bc it can fit in a those envelopes or boxes. Until it arrives keep trying to keep her well fed well hydrated. Give her ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING she will eat. Her own body is under stress and the more you boost her immunity to fight infection the better chance she has. Treat her as you would your own child (most people here do..I know I sure as heck do...my house hen Sassy is staring at me right now. I give her everything..pasta I chop up, micro greens, grains, human food, I share my meals with her in fact. She loves real flavorful foods. Loves breads too but those are more filler. She's 9 yrs old and it's bc she has been so loved and carefully cared for that she's lived this long. Im so afraid to even tell people and jinx it. Ive had hundreds of pet chickens in 25 yrs but never a full on HOUSE HEN that I even got certified as a therapy chicken pet so she can be legal and legal on the house lease since we sold ours during pandemic and Ive had her as long as my oldest dog now. Who just ignore her or walk around her. She loves to cluck really loud when Im on talking on the phone like she's part of the conversation. When we have company I bring her from her perch upstairs to be a part of the evening or conversation and everyone takes turns holding her. She's a LAP HEN now too. Give your hen milk, yogurt mixed with any fruits nuts she can eat, nothing is off the lit when they are sick. so picky and they get malnourished and dehydrated so fast so whatever they want they get. You can sometimes reach out on Quora and ask for help and get a ton of answers from people all over the world who may help you with their advice and sometimes doctors nurses vets chime in. I use Quora one night in a panic when my dog ate my baked potato on my plate when I stepped out and got the half grape on my salad. Grapes are HIGHLY ToXIC cause liver damage and can kill them. I got a ton of answers and help in 10 min. Then I researched more about the grapes and raisins toxicity issue in animals (not chickens) and it's an enzyme in the seed I can't remember the name that a vet discovered. TARTARIC ACID like creme of TarTar in spice drawer same thing. That's the toxic to dogs and other animals they cannot metabolize it and it causes liver failure fairly quickly. Chocolate is also toxic but once my golden ate an entire English chocolate orange solid milk chocolate and didn't get sick. It's the toxicity over time that accumulates in the liver. Anyway here is a link to one sulfa drug and there's more online but this was fairly cheap and just wanted you to have a photo too. Good luck I hope she survived. I know this comment is very late to the question and urgency so I hope she made a recovery. If not..now you tried and you learn from these mishaps. I learned everything from trial and error and I did my best and gave them all the attention and love I could but sometimes there issues are beyond your abilities and you lose them to injuries or diseases. They are fragile creatures. But don't let the death of one prevent you from having more. Backyard chickens and chickens as pets are wonderful and they make great pets for elderly people in nursing homes as a visiting pet. Just carry spray and gels to wash hands. I have taken my girls to schools and churches and classrooms for years. I taught a class on chickens as pets and how to build coops at a summer camp for kids in WA on an island near BC from private schools and not any hands on farm experience where most of the kids came from wealthy families and go to soccer camp and this camp then back to school... and they said it was the best experience ever and now those kids are adults with kids and passed down the compassion of farm animals to a whole new generation. You can make things using what you have at home too until the sulfa arrives.
https://parasitesandvectors.biomedc...=Numerous plant-based products have,19,20,21].

sulfa:
check out this one for worms thought interesting bc we have tansy and its invasive toxic weed in our state and causes blindness in sheep and horses avoid it, never heard of it being used to prevent worms. cool!!! : https://www.ediblebackyard.co.nz/natural-remedies-for-worms-in-chickens/

I posted a little while ago but haven’t been able to get a response. None of the vets near me are open, the emergency vets don’t see chickens. We caught the chicken bare handed and isolated it, we washed hands with soap in the hose and then went trick or treating while I called vets within 2 hours of us. No one Can see the chicken and I’m concerned about contagions. I cannot figure out how to share a video here so that you can hear. Since going in the crate an hour ago fluffy seems to have defecated several times its loose and watery. We just changed from crumbles to laying pellets two days ago. I refilled their water today and rinsed it but have not washed it with soap recently. We use the deep litter method in the coop and they free range 3 days a week and in the afternoons along with their time in the run while we are at work. I need to know what steps to take. Reading online says wash all the clothes in hot water, wear gloves and masks when handling the sock chicken, etc. I want to help my chicken but I also want to protect my family and the rest of the flock. I really need some advice as soon as possible. Thank you for anything you can share.

If you ever have this again...keep a bottle of sulfa powder on hand. One bag lasts quite a long time but keep it sealed so it doesn't lose its potency over time. Add to water. I use a smaller water dish so it's concentrated and keep it away from the others unless you want to treat the whole flock. I think if one is sick and you don't know what pathogen it is...it's good idea to treat all of them. Pathogens spread like wildfire in coops and small flocks. Especially if they are confined to smaller spaces during the winter wet months. Breeds bacteria and viruses and prevents a bigger nightmare. If you don't have any sulfa on hand (order it now, keep it on hand, should take 2-3 days now shipping and ask for usps or priority bc it can fit in a those envelopes or boxes. Until it arrives keep trying to keep her well fed well hydrated. Give her ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING she will eat. Her own body is under stress and the more you boost her immunity to fight infection the better chance she has. Treat her as you would your own child (most people here do..I know I sure as heck do...my house hen Sassy is staring at me right now. I give her everything..pasta I chop up, micro greens, grains, human food, I share my meals with her in fact. She loves real flavorful foods. Loves breads too but those are more filler. She's 9 yrs old and it's bc she has been so loved and carefully cared for that she's lived this long. Im so afraid to even tell people and jinx it. Ive had hundreds of pet chickens in 25 yrs but never a full on HOUSE HEN that I even got certified as a therapy chicken pet so she can be legal and legal on the house lease since we sold ours during pandemic and Ive had her as long as my oldest dog now. Who just ignore her or walk around her. She loves to cluck really loud when Im on talking on the phone like she's part of the conversation. When we have company I bring her from her perch upstairs to be a part of the evening or conversation and everyone takes turns holding her. She's a LAP HEN now too. Give your hen milk, yogurt mixed with any fruits nuts she can eat, nothing is off the lit when they are sick. so picky and they get malnourished and dehydrated so fast so whatever they want they get. You can sometimes reach out on Quora and ask for help and get a ton of answers from people all over the world who may help you with their advice and sometimes doctors nurses vets chime in. I use Quora one night in a panic when my dog ate my baked potato on my plate when I stepped out and got the half grape on my salad. Grapes are HIGHLY ToXIC cause liver damage and can kill them. I got a ton of answers and help in 10 min. Then I researched more about the grapes and raisins toxicity issue in animals (not chickens) and it's an enzyme in the seed I can't remember the name that a vet discovered. TARTARIC ACID like creme of TarTar in spice drawer same thing. That's the toxic to dogs and other animals they cannot metabolize it and it causes liver failure fairly quickly. Chocolate is also toxic but once my golden ate an entire English chocolate orange solid milk chocolate and didn't get sick. It's the toxicity over time that accumulates in the liver. Anyway here is a link to one sulfa drug and there's more online but this was fairly cheap and just wanted you to have a photo too. Good luck I hope she survived. I know this comment is very late to the question and urgency so I hope she made a recovery. If not..now you tried and you learn from these mishaps. I learned everything from trial and error and I did my best and gave them all the attention and love I could but sometimes there issues are beyond your abilities and you lose them to injuries or diseases. They are fragile creatures. But don't let the death of one prevent you from having more. Backyard chickens and chickens as pets are wonderful and they make great pets for elderly people in nursing homes as a visiting pet. Just carry spray and gels to wash hands. I have taken my girls to schools and churches and classrooms for years. I taught a class on chickens as pets and how to build coops at a summer camp for kids in WA on an island near BC from private schools and not any hands on farm experience where most of the kids came from wealthy families and go to soccer camp and this camp then back to school... and they said it was the best experience ever and now those kids are adults with kids and passed down the compassion of farm animals to a whole new generation. You can make things using what you have at home too until the sulfa arrives.
https://parasitesandvectors.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13071-019-3595-4#:~:text=Numerous plant-based products have,19,20,21].

sulfa:
check out this one for worms thought interesting bc we have tansy and its invasive toxic weed in our state and causes blindness in sheep and horses avoid it, never heard of it being used to prevent worms. cool!!! : https://www.ediblebackyard.co.nz/natural-remedies-for-worms-in-chickens/
Unfortunately, the people of quara did not give you sound advice, I'd recommended looking elsewhere for information.
The op didn't offer any description of what is going on with their bird so nobody can diagnose it.

Back
Top Bottom