Please help! Goose having problems standing.

I can tell ya young geese will put anything in their mouth so he could have def picked up rope string no telling. If you’d had blood drawn you could at least rule out infection. Did you discuss tube feeding? He can’t live long eating just a small amount of kale. Xrays May have showed if anything was stuck too. I know not everyone can get vet care for their birds I am just tossing out possibilities if you decide to go back.

Okay, so I got the injectable durvet vitamin b complex and got 2 ml down him, and took a look in his mouth with a flashlight. I couldn't see anything that I could grab or anything so I don't know whats wrong with his mouth.

The vet gave him an antibiotic (enrofloxin) 10 mg/kg and an anti-inflammatory to see if that would help. His lungs sounded clear. We didn't get any xrays or blood tests or anything done on him though, he was really busy and since he's a friend of ours / we work there we just kind of got penciled in while there was a lull in customers.

Have you put him in a tub? If your willing, give him a shallow cool bath. Throw small pieces of kale in it. See if he'll clean himself.. and eat.

Do your waterers allow for full head emersion?

The videos.. how long has he been doing the bill chattering? Since in the house? Could he be too warm? Give him a spritz/cool bath... If youre willing and he wants to go in. See if cooling him down stops the chattering. Sounds like a cough to me.

Is he still falling over? Seems to be holding his balance well in the video.

Is his vent red/swollen?

Does he/did he have access to grit?

I agree, you need to make sure nothing is stuck in his throat.

Last edited:
Do you have TSC ? Best we’ve had work fast an best is Durvet liquid b complex. It maybe In the cattle dept an will say injectable but we give it orally 2 ml over a treat just enough he’ll eat it all an get full dose. If niacin deficiency you should see Improvement in at least a week. Purina Flock raiser has the amount of niacin water fowl need but even so some can still have problems and need extra. It’s a good place to start with him.

Just as a question going back to this, am I supposed to give him the b complex daily? or is it just the one time?

Not sure if this will help or not.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm

Been seeing a lot coming up also about vitamin a, vitamin e, and selenium deficiencies in addition to the niacin/b complex, that can cause similar issues that your goose is experiencing. Ive seen people blog about starting with niacin but having slow to no results due to not supplementing the viatimin e and selenium as well. Please look into that. My understanding is these are ALL DAILY treatments until wellness occurs and then adjust to a balanced diet including all supplemental nutritional needs going forward.

Miss Lydia, your quotes are showing but your answers to the quotes are not showing?

Hi guys, just an update. He isn't doing much better and started declining yesterday. We were finally able to get the tube feeding equipment and just tube fed him for the first time today. We tube fed quite a bit of Naturewise All Flock mashed up and wet mixed with unsweetened applesauce. I'm really hoping I got it down the right hole, I saw it going down the neck on the outside and he hasn't started aspirating as far as I'm aware. I watched a video on tube feeding a duck and read a few articles on it. I brought his goose girlfriend in for today to hang out with him in case anything goes south. I'm hoping he gets better, we sunk so much money into him from this and we really love him. I'm torn up about the thought of losing him.

How often and how much should we tube feed him a day? Any suggestions for what we should tube feed?

I only have experience with a syringe with a parrot. I believe it was 3 times a day, if I'm remembering correctly.

The link below is on chickens. There are some for geese. Although this one is pretty informative, speaks of weights for amounts etc and has pointers to avoid asperations.

I hope all goes well :hugs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post.805615/

Hopefully more will speak up quickly for you.

Well the tube feeding should help! Honestly, if he does aspirate IMO it's better than a slow decline anyway. Seems like a tough way to look at it, but it helps me when I need to try drastic solutions.
He should start pooping more in the next day or so if you're tube feeding. I'd be very interested to see it then. I'm not sure if geese are like cats (probably not) but I know stomach bile in mammals is often green. So if they haven't eaten, their poop is often green.

Back
Top Bottom