Please help; hatchery fiasco…10 unknown chicks!!

Ok so while we have named the B&W speckled one Hammy (Hamburg) because that’s what I thought the breed was per past convos on this thread. I actually pulled up McMurray’s pic and she looks nothing like theirs…what is she?! lol she has blue legs.

Also, is that a silver phoenix beside her? 7EADF87D-8E40-44DE-BDCF-F08867BBE4CC.jpeg 2DD568D1-8738-48CB-8FC4-2A78080EE78A.jpeg 736E189C-868B-48E4-A896-B39518A03E6E.jpeg 1339E81D-9B9D-4528-939A-E31AE7D1DFFE.jpeg

Ok so while we have named the B&W speckled one Hammy (Hamburg) because that’s what I thought the breed was per past convos on this thread. I actually pulled up McMurray’s pic and she looks nothing like theirs…what is she?! lol she has blue legs.
She is a Silver Spangled Hamburg. She just has a bit more black in her spangling than the ones on the McMurray site.

Silver Spangled Hamburgs do have blue legs. That is mentioned in the McMurray description too.

Silver Spangled Hamburgs have rose combs, which she does. Her comb will get bigger and more red when she starts to lay eggs.

Her body shape looks about right also.

That one does look like a Silver Phoenix. It is definitely a female.
Only the males get tails long enough to drag on the ground, which makes it harder to recognize the females. Some other breeds have females that can look pretty similar (example: some Easter Eggers.)

She is a Silver Spangled Hamburg. She just has a bit more black in her spangling than the ones on the McMurray site.

Silver Spangled Hamburgs do have blue legs. That is mentioned in the McMurray description too.

Silver Spangled Hamburgs have rose combs, which she does. Her comb will get bigger and more red when she starts to lay eggs.

Only the males get tails long enough to drag on the ground, which makes it harder to recognize the females. Some other breeds have females that can look pretty similar (example: some Easter Eggers.)
Ok thanks! I was going off pics because I was telling the spouse the breed & the image they have is not what I have. Lol

Ok…so…one is a Silver Phoenix, the blue legged one I assume.
What is the yellow legged one? Theyre very similar in color, but one is significantly smaller than the other.

A553A7FF-C93B-450F-BBC5-CB923F5E0FDA.jpeg 00FAE4D7-CFC5-4066-A556-2CFCC9E1C63B.jpeg 55F7EAEF-833B-4DF1-A3C6-E088F36FCE55.jpeg

Ok…so…one is a Silver Phoenix, the blue legged one I assume.
What is the yellow legged one? Theyre very similar in color, but one is significantly smaller than the other.

View attachment 3804718View attachment 3804719View attachment 3804720
Maybe a Silver Leghorn? (Should have yellow legs.)

Or maybe they are two of a kind, but one has the wrong leg color for its breed. That happens sometimes.

As regards the size difference, it could mean different breeds, but it might not. It is common for some to be bigger than others, even if they are the same breed, same age, and all females (or all males.)

Silver Gray Dorkings would have the same color, but they are supposed to have 5 toes per foot (doubled back toe), and your chicks do not seem to have that, so probably not Dorkings.

I can't think of any other breeds that McMurray would have with single combs and that coloration (which means, if there is one, I'm failing to think of it ;) )

Maybe a Silver Leghorn? (Should have yellow legs.)

Or maybe they are two of a kind, but one has the wrong leg color for its breed. That happens sometimes.

As regards the size difference, it could mean different breeds, but it might not. It is common for some to be bigger than others, even if they are the same breed, same age, and all females (or all males.)

Silver Gray Dorkings would have the same color, but they are supposed to have 5 toes per foot (doubled back toe), and your chicks do not seem to have that, so probably not Dorkings.

I can't think of any other breeds that McMurray would have with single combs and that coloration (which means, if there is one, I'm failing to think of it ;) )
Silver leghorn was my thought too. But I am no master at breeds like you seem to be!! lol
The only thing w it being the leghorn, its comb is small for a leghorn. Unless they don’t get tall, floppy combs.

Silver leghorn was my thought too. But I am no master at breeds like you seem to be!! lol
Not really a master at breeds, just someone who has spent too many hours drooling over hatchery websites, and can work methodically through a list of traits to see what matches :)

The only thing w it being the leghorn, its comb is small for a leghorn. Unless they don’t get tall, floppy combs.
Check back on that after she starts laying :D Even Leghorns tend to have relatively small combs when they are young pullets.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_leghorns.html
McMurray has a photo of a pullet with a small comb, and one that has a big red comb standing up (but not flopping.) So either this particular line of Silver Leghorns do not have combs that flop, or else that photo with the red comb is a pullet that hasn't finished growing hers yet.

https://douglasfeedandpetsupply.com...-chicks-silver-leghorn?variant=44417339752675
Privett does have a photo with a mature hen, showing a big red comb that flops.

Well I did have one white leghorn from Ideal that took FOREVER to get a big floppy comb--so much so I thought I had an easter egger!

I had a male silver phoenix with an assortment once, they should be smaller than the leghorn, not the other way around. Could she just be a runt, or bantam silver leghorn? Oh, they do have leghorns with rose combs FWIW, at some hatcheries.

Well I did have one white leghorn from Ideal that took FOREVER to get a big floppy comb--so much so I thought I had an easter egger!

I had a male silver phoenix with an assortment once, they should be smaller than the leghorn, not the other way around. Could she just be a runt, or bantam silver leghorn? Oh, they do have leghorns with rose combs FWIW, at some hatcheries.
They have quite a few varieties of Leghorn at Murray McMurray.
1713458878060.png

Back
Top Bottom