Please help! Hen with giant wound smells like burnt chicken

Celcampbell23

Chirping
Jul 20, 2021
Davidson, North Carolina
I have a young hen who I noticed limping a couple days ago. I thought it might be bumble foot so I brought her in and couldn’t find any signs of bumble foot but noticed she had quite a bit of feces on her so I washed her off and as I was doing so I noticed this horrific wound under her left wing. Completely hidden if you don’t move the wing. The images you see the yellow is kwik stop. To be honest I don’t think it was bleeding when I found it but I panicked and used kwik stop. I also sprayed with vetricyn before the kwik stop and used terramycin after. Probably not the correct order but I was panicking a little.

I was thinking a rooster injury but it almost seems like she is missing some tissue there so I’m not sure if it could have been a bite of some sort. She is weak but manages to eat and drink and makes her way to the coop each night so I feel like she has the will to live. My main concerns are if I am prolonging the inevitable and also if this is infected or something else, could it harm the other chickens? Or me? I have her in the coop but separated from the rest of the flock for now.

Attachments

• IMG_6634.jpeg
    IMG_6634.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6635.jpeg
    IMG_6635.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6636.jpeg
    IMG_6636.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 40
Do you have an antibiotic for chickens? If not, can you run to TSC and get some Tylan 50? I'll go find dosage in the meantime. I just saw it on here by I think @Wyorp Rock

I've seen chickens maimed by dogs that looked 10 times worse that made it so she should hopefully be fine.
Oh that gives me so much hope! TSC just closed but I will have a pickup order ready the moment they open tomorrow. I would be so appreciative if you could share the dosage!

Do you have an antibiotic for chickens? If not, can you run to TSC and get some Tylan 50? I'll go find dosage in the meantime. I just saw it on here by I think @Wyorp Rock

I've seen chickens maimed by dogs that looked 10 times worse that made it so she should hopefully be fine.
Is there any other antibiotic that will work? It looks like they have penicillin but every TSC in a 100 mile radius is out of Tylan 50

Is there any other antibiotic that will work? It looks like they have penicillin but every TSC in a 100 mile radius is out of Tylan 50
Sorry to hear about your pullet.

I would first clean the wound really well, trim the feathers from around the wound and re-access it.
An antibiotic may be necessary, but often with a very good cleaning a wound may heal fine without it.

For this, I would actually wash the wound with some warm soapy water since the powder is on there, work slowly and see how much crusty material will slough off. After a good flushing of clean warm water, trim the feathers from the wound. Swab the wound very well with an antiseptic like Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine.
Take photos please so we can see how deep the wound is.

Since this is under the wing, I'd lean toward keeping the tissue a bit drier. That's a warm moist environment. A good swabbing with the Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine a couple of times a day will help this heal up, unless I see something different when you post photos after clean up.

I've had this type of injury under the wing and yes, it's likely due to a rooster spur or claw cutting the skin. Yes, mine did smell like cooked or burnt chicken with a hint of infection too. Odd smell. With mine, daily cleaning worked fine, but iirc, my hen's wound was not quite that deep.

Tylan/Tylosin would not be my choice as an antibiotic for wounds. It's very good for treating respiratory infections, enteritis, g.i. infections, etc.
IF Tylan was the ONLY thing I had, then I would use it in a crisis. Tylan has a dosage range of 10-40mg/kg given 3 times a day for 5 days. Injectable Tylan can be given orally instead of by injection, it's known to cause injection site necrosis. There is a Soluble Tylan that can also be ordered online, it goes in the drinking water. Again, it's not what I'd choose for a wound.

Penicillin would be a better choice if you have to give an antibiotic and can't wait on shipping of Amoxicillin. Amoxicillin would be my first choice, but it does have to be ordered online or if you have a vet, they may be able to write you a script.

Penicillin G would be an appropriate choice for wounds. Dosage for Penicillin G is .25ml injected into the breast muscle 1/4" deep once daily for 4 days, alternating sides. You will want a 20gauge needle and small syringe.

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
You can order it online HERE.

Back
Top Bottom