please help her BROKEN BEAK (update page 4)

I don't think it would be harmful to wait if you continue to hand feed and water her. It is something I would do immediately in the hope that she would eat and drink on her own. If you don't feel that it is something you could do then maybe you shouldn't do so. I do what I think is best for the bird even when that thing is unpleasant, as it often is.

In the end it is up to you.

I got on the phone with a vet who said that he could call us tomorrow morning so I would probably wait for him to see her just to be sure. As of now I have been able to give her water and scrambled eggs through a syringe so I'm feeling a little bit better. She's gonna sleep inside with me tonight and then we might take her to the vet tomorrow depending on what he says.

UPDATE: last night the part sticking off fell off completely. She didn't seem to notice and I don't think it hurt her at all. This is her now:

Yesterday I was able to get a lot of egg in her and some water. I'm thinking of mixing the water with feed because earlier she seemed to prefer that more.
She keeps looking around with her mouth wide open. She did this before this happened, but less frequently. Does it mean anything? Also she keeps trying to lick the side of her injured beak.
Lastly, I was wondering whether or not my other chickens will bother her with her beak the way it is now. I feel bad having her all alone.

I would supervise them when together as much as possible. I don't know that they would pick at it since there is no blood...but I'd really watch. I don't like to keep mine out unless really necessary...less stress on them and no re-integration issues.She looks pretty good.

she ate a little bit of egg on her own! :D does that mean that she'll be able to drink on her own too?

the vet said I should superglue it back on so she'll be able to pick up food better and that a new one will grow back in 4-6 weeks and push it off.
Is superglue safe?

Has the vet seen it? It doesn't look like putting it on would do anything length-wise for her as far as picking up food? I think I would want them to look at it to make sure it really would help. The top looks to be a good length.....??

it is hard to see in the pictures but the remaining tissue is a bit shorter and less curled and she is having trouble now.

Back
Top Bottom