Broken beak

Boof_Macarooni

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2023
My 16 week old chicken has a broken part of her beak. She’s a silver laced Wyandotte and she has a twin except the only difference is their sizes. I don’t know if her being smaller was happening before or after she broke her beak.
I was wondering if anyone who knows more about this kind of thing knows if her beak will grow back, or if there is anything I can do. I read that people give them deep dishes of feed so they can eat easier, that is something I’m going to do and see is she will start to bulk up.
I have no idea how her beak broke or when, I’m just glad I found it when I did.
I’m guess this happened during these last couple of days. If anyone can let me know if there’s anything I can do, anything I can give her that would help with the growth process.
D502CA71-79CE-4094-9B61-37186EF184C5.jpeg
ACC1EBEC-DB72-418D-92FF-2F3BC7E0AAB0.jpeg

Last edited:
As long as there is no infection, your hen should be fine. Just keep an eye on it and watch for bleeding, beak turning black or a bad smell.
You can put some salve on it to help it grow back. that's what I did for my hen and now she has a nice new beak 🙂

It may take a few weeks for it to grow back since yours looks worse then my hen.

It doesnt look too desperately bad. Yes it will grow back. Deep dishing sounds like a good idea. My only other thought would be making sure there is no cracking along the beak anywhere.

In bigger cases dental acrylic or even 3D printing is used to reconstruct the beak. Who knew a prosthetic beak existed?

I wish her very well!

My 16 week old chicken has a broken part of her beak. She’s a silver laced Wyandotte and she has a twin except the only difference is their sizes. I don’t know if her being smaller was happening before or after she broke her beak.
I was wondering if anyone who knows more about this kind of thing knows if her beak will grow back, or if there is anything I can do. I read that people give them deep dishes of feed so they can eat easier, that is something I’m going to do and see is she will start to bulk up.
I have no idea how her beak broke or when, I’m just glad I found it when I did.
I’m guess this happened during these last couple of days. If anyone can let me know if there’s anything I can do, anything I can give her that would help with the growth process.
View attachment 3636590View attachment 3636591
She's lost the outer layer, the keratin will harden up and over time the beak will fill back out.
Common injuries like that are a lot of times from sticking beaks through wire or getting hung on feeders.

Just observe to see that she's eating/drinking o.k.

Back
Top Bottom