Bottom beak out of place

free range by day

Songster
5 Years
Jan 2, 2019
Has anyone seen this before?
It’s bottom beak is out of place quite a bit! Honestly I don’t know if it is an injury or is just growing that way. Anything to be too confused about as long as it’s eating and drinking? I can squeeze the top and bottom together and it doesn’t “seem” to be bothered by it, but of course it doesn’t stay together. Is it scissor beak?

Attachments

• A00A5247-3467-444F-BB2E-9555AA05C5FF.jpeg
    A00A5247-3467-444F-BB2E-9555AA05C5FF.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 60
Has anyone seen this before?
It’s bottom beak is out of place quite a bit! Honestly I don’t know if it is an injury or is just growing that way. Anything to be too confused about as long as it’s eating and drinking? I can squeeze the top and bottom together and it doesn’t “seem” to be bothered by it, but of course it doesn’t stay together. Is it scissor beak?
this is a crossbeak. it happens rather regularly, there are usually one or two of these posts a week. although I personally have not, and hope I will not get one, most mild crossbeak babies are alright as long as they can eat. others have recommended a deeper food dish, to help them reach the crumbles.

Yup, that's a crossbeak. The condition is very common and can be caused by poor hatch position, trauma, or genetics. EEs, Silkies, Polish and a couple others end up with it.

It's a deformity of the skull and there's no way to fix it - despite what you read on the internet. It does get worse over time, but tends to stabilize in the final position at about a year old.

It does not need to be a death sentence. Many CBs, including mine, live long lives with a little bit of support.

Attachments

• 54519490_782084301204_4112218048167936000_n.jpg
    54519490_782084301204_4112218048167936000_n.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 68280293_795529362194_1546435200064421888_n.jpg
    68280293_795529362194_1546435200064421888_n.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 14
I can squeeze the top and bottom together and it doesn’t “seem” to be bothered by it, but of course it doesn’t stay together. Is it scissor beak?
It's likely congenital not an injury. (in my experience, though there can still be many causes)

As stated by the other poster it will very likely get worse with age.. that's why it's so obvious now and likely was not at hatch. In addition to the deep bowls suggested, long term they may also need help grooming. and have no way to preen properly (spread the oils from the gland to around the feathers for water proofing, etc).

Don't squeeze them together.. it's part of the skull...

https://grubblyfarms.com/blogs/the-flyer/how-to-care-for-a-cross-beak-chicken#:~:text=Cross beak originates from within,injury or a nutritional deficiency.

I cull (eliminate not rehome) for the condition.. but I have goals which don't include weak genetics or flock members (which invite *more* opportunities for illness and predation to the rest of the flock).. and do have the possibility of (accidentally) passing genetics on via breeding/hatching.. Nothing to be confused about if you know YOUR goals and perspective.

Still a little cutie! 🥰

Last edited:
It's likely congenital not an injury.

As stated by the other poster it will very likely get worse with age.. that's why it's so obvious now and likely was not at hatch. In addition to the deep bowls suggested, long term they may also need help grooming. and have no way to preen properly (spread the oils from the gland to around the feathers for water proofing, etc).

Don't squeeze them together.. it's part of the skull...

https://grubblyfarms.com/blogs/the-flyer/how-to-care-for-a-cross-beak-chicken#:~:text=Cross beak originates from within,injury or a nutritional deficiency.

I cull (eliminate not rehome) for the condition.. but I have goals which don't include weak genetics or flock members (which invite *more* opportunities for illness and predation to the rest of the flock).. and do have the possibility of (accidentally) passing genetics on via breeding/hatching.. Nothing to be confused about if you know YOUR goals and perspective.

Still a little cutie! 🥰
We have a lot of chickens, for eggs, but this is one of two of my 11 year old daughter’s very own “pet” silkie chicks. Do I have to cull him or her, or is it sometimes manageable with mash/ deep feeders, etc.. ?

We have a lot of chickens, for eggs, but this is one of two of my 11 year old daughter’s very own “pet” silkie chicks. Do I have to cull him or her, or is it sometimes manageable with mash/ deep feeders, etc.. ?
NO!

Everything is a personal choice, and if it's manageable for you, what a lucky chick! :hugs

Yup, that's a crossbeak. The condition is very common and can be caused by poor hatch position, trauma, or genetics. EEs, Silkies, Polish and a couple others end up with it.

It's a deformity of the skull and there's no way to fix it - despite what you read on the internet. It does get worse over time, but tends to stabilize in the final position at about a year old.

It does not need to be a death sentence. Many CBs, including mine, live long lives with a little bit of support.
This is such an encouragement! We have a lot of chickens, but this is one of two of my 11 year old daughter’s “pet” silkie chicks. So we shouldn’t cull him or her? We really don’t want to. Someone else ( not on here said it won’t thrive and to cull him.
We don’t mind the extra care with mash and such and whatever is needed.

Back
Top Bottom