Please help! Emergency!

XxChickenGirlxX

Hatching
Mar 24, 2024
One of my hens broke her beak! when I got her it was bleeding a lot, I stopped the bleeding with water and paper towel but I do not know what else to do! I am kind’ve panicking alittle bit as I care a lot about my chickens.. I’ve just been sitting here with her and petting her for the last hour though, I’m wondering if maybe her beak will just heal on its own? I’m not sure…. Some tips asap would be lovely! ^^

Pictures below:

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpeg
    IMG_1657.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1656.jpeg
    IMG_1656.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 12
It may eventually grow back, but it will be painful for her to eat. Spray it with Vetericyn or saline to clean it. I would mix some mushy wet chicken feed, some scrambled egg bits. It can take some time for the keratin layer to grow in. But the right side is pretty broken off. There are some ways to use an empty tea bag cut into pieces and Crazy Glue or super glue to cover the beak. I would wait before attempting this. An avian vet if possible could help. Here is a good article about beaks:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/repai...ezers, I placed just,nail file to smooth them.

It may eventually grow back, but it will be painful for her to eat. Spray it with Vetericyn or saline to clean it. I would mix some mushy wet chicken feed, some scrambled egg bits. It can take some time for the keratin layer to grow in. But the right side is pretty broken off. There are some ways to use an empty tea bag cut into pieces and Crazy Glue or super glue to cover the beak. I would wait before attempting this. An avian vet if possible could help. Here is a good article about beaks:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/repairing-chickens-broken-beak/#:~:text=Using tweezers, I placed just,nail file to smooth them.
What if I don’t have Vetericyn or saline? I put some mushy chicken feed in with her aswell so I’ll just leave her for now then I guess and see how she does.

Saline is easy to make. Add 2 tsp of salt to a quart/liter of water, and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Cool it and store in a clean jar. Use in a spray bottle or drip it on. Vetericyn or other wound sprays are sold at feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom