PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Pics
The plastic playhouse things are often quite small.
The "house" part of a big play structure is often small, too.

In my eyes, the major value of the big swing set-type toy is that big triangular frame: cover it with hardware cloth, add some perches at several different levels, and you've got a really nice run that you can go inside too. Add a tarp or roof to deal with rain/snow, and be sure there's shade in the summer (trees or roof/tarp.)
That specific playhouse I know is 5x5, but that is the biggest one that I have been able to find. I'd need to think about how long the swing part is....I promised my parents that any setup I would make wouldn't be longer than 12 feet...width tbd, but probably about 5-6 feet. I'd have the coop in the big frame, with run space under it. I am wondering....would I actually save money on wood by doing this? I'd be spending $200-$300, minus whatever I can sell swings and slides for. I have a continuous debate going in my head: convert or build?

The plastic playhouse things are often quite small.
The "house" part of a big play structure is often small, too.

In my eyes, the major value of the big swinset-type toy is that big triangular frame: cover it with hardware cloth, add some perches at several different levels, and you've got a really nice run that you can go inside too. Add a tarp or roof to deal with rain/snow, and be sure there's shade in the summer (trees or roof/tarp.)
Yes, we've been thru the playhouse idea, pros and cons, with blackcat in previous threads.
Aframes are notoriously hard to weather proof and ventilate.
They look easy, either to build or convert, but have many disadvantages.

This morning's update:
It turns out that there was a hook on the roost that I never even noticed? I'm wondering if they'll just get more poop in the water....I hung up the water on that hook to see what happens. I took the nesting box out, and just put a decoy egg in one corner of the coop. I'll see if they just didn't like the nesting box. Do people think that it's ok to tie a piece of string to the top of the run, tie a treat on the other end, and hang it for them so that they could try to get it? Would they be able to eat the string?
Anyone have any idea on the treat thing? I want to give my girls some cold lettuce as it had been quite hot out.

Yes, we've been thru the playhouse idea, pros and cons, with blackcat in previous threads.
I'm thinking that I'd probably go the playhouse route, but as it seemed I could get a lot more wood and stuff for the same amount of money as the playhouse, so that is why I was thinking about it.

Ah, I hadn't noticed those threads.

I was assuming the A-frame would be a large run, not the protected structure. So a bunch of hardware cloth for predator proofing would be about all it takes, with maybe a tarp to reduce wind/rain. Ventilation would be easy if it's all hardware cloth.

But that's why I worried about the "house" part being small, because I assumed the A-frame would NOT be weatherproof.

Hi. I hope you don't mind me jumping in here as I just happened upon your thread. Just regarding getting parts and pieces for your coop/run, can you check on Facebook to see if there is a Buy Nothing group in your area? You can ask for (and usually receive) a lot of supplies for free on there. Just a thought.

Long term I'm sure things will work out. Funny story...I wasn't planning for RIRs or leghorns...we asked for 3 barred rocks...I definitely prefer 4 chickens over 3 chickens, I got an extra free chicken...I'm not picky about breeds with my first ones so I'm ok with it...my short term issues are:
1. How the hell am I supposed to get stuff set up properly in the coop/run.
2. How will I collect eggs without the chickens escaping.
3. Securing the area around the coop with a fence (made out of chicken wire, probably) so that if they do escape they can't get too far.
I am not going to let them do ANY free ranging, supervised or otherwise for a WHILE.
I've calmed down for now. Tomorrow I will sit with them near the run and toss in treats from time to time. If this was up to me I would have built my own coop and gotten chicks, but yeah.
..........Did you say I had a big coop? Exactly the opposite, it's a tiny one! I have laying hens, not chicks, but was wondering because I want to get some chicks in the future! I'll think about brooding in coop when I actually get chicks-and that'll be at least a year after we're keeping the rental, most likely, and that's only if we keep the rental! I'm working super hard to keep the chickens and build them a bigger coop.
oh! It’s a rental.....! I knew you had grown hens. Got that. But didn’t realize you were renting the coop. Oh my. If they didn’t set it up right then those dumb asses would have to either come back and set it up right or they wouldn’t get paid another dime from me. And as to your chicks... my advice was for as to when you are able to get them. But I did think you said you had a large coop and had gotten an extension too. Sorry! Missed the boat on that part. I think all the heat and chicken poop is getting to me around here. I have washed my hands so much i think that it is a wonder if I have any skin left. Between the pandemic issues, I am on Humira, and the chicken bio security, and I am also taking care of a daily bandage change on a wound issue- big wound issue on my Sister in law daily. I am just tired of washing from head to toe and mask wearing etc., clothes., shoes., masks., bags., gloves, cleaner., hand sanitizer everywhere. It is all a real pain in the butt. Well I hope you get the rental folks to get it together. Sounds like they made a mess of things and really screwed you over. Who did you rent from? You need to post it on here and give them some bad press and bad reviews. They should not be getting away with crap like that if they are wanting to run a reputable business. Taking advantage of people is not cool. Not one bit. Unacceptable!
Take care until we talk again.,
Pam

oh! It’s a rental.....! I knew you had grown hens. Got that. But didn’t realize you were renting the coop. Oh my. If they didn’t set it up right then those dumb asses would have to either come back and set it up right or they wouldn’t get paid another dime from me. And as to your chicks... my advice was for as to when you are able to get them. But I did think you said you had a large coop and had gotten an extension too. Sorry! Missed the boat on that part. I think all the heat and chicken poop is getting to me around here. I have washed my hands so much i think that it is a wonder if I have any skin left. Between the pandemic issues, I am on Humira, and the chicken bio security, and I am also taking care of a daily bandage change on a wound issue- big wound issue on my Sister in law daily. I am just tired of washing from head to toe and mask wearing etc., clothes., shoes., masks., bags., gloves, cleaner., hand sanitizer everywhere. It is all a real pain in the butt. Well I hope you get the rental folks to get it together. Sounds like they made a mess of things and really screwed you over. Who did you rent from? You need to post it on here and give them some bad press and bad reviews. They should not be getting away with crap like that if they are wanting to run a reputable business. Taking advantage of people is not cool. Not one bit. Unacceptable!
Take care until we talk again.,
Pam
Sorry for confusion! We've managed to get everything set up fairly ok, so that turned out well, at least. The rental people aren't hearing from me after we (hopefully) give back their coop and buy their hens. I don't think that the rental people either know how to properly care for chickens, or they just don't care? I will make a post on here after the whole rental experience is over, so that if anything else comes up, it will be in that post. I'm just glad that I was able to set things up and take care of stuff....I'm really glad that I did my research! If I was a complete beginner, I don't think that I would have been able to get it together at all. I feel bad for people that don't know what they're doing when they end up in this situation, it must be so hard to fix! Wow, that sounds like a huge hassle of stuff to take care of! That's so amazing that you are dealing with all of that, I'd probably explode! Hats off to you, and hoping everything gets less chaotic soon.

Hi. I hope you don't mind me jumping in here as I just happened upon your thread. Just regarding getting parts and pieces for your coop/run, can you check on Facebook to see if there is a Buy Nothing group in your area? You can ask for (and usually receive) a lot of supplies for free on there. Just a thought.
I don't mind you jumping in at all! The more the merrier. That's a great idea! I don't have facebook myself, but when the time comes to (hopefully) build a coop, I'll be sure to look for something like that.

Well I hope you get the rental folks to get it together. Sounds like they made a mess of things and really screwed you over. Who did you rent from? You need to post it on here and give them some bad press and bad reviews. They should not be getting away with crap like that if they are wanting to run a reputable business. Taking advantage of people is not cool. Not one bit. Unacceptable!

My understanding is:

The coop is way too small. The nestbox that was supposed to come, is missing. Black_cat was not pleased with the original feed/water placement, but has since decided no other placement is much better in that small space.

The hens had their beaks trimmed at some point long ago (months or a year ago).

The hens arrived with their feathers looking bad, but improved a great deal in the first two days (once they had time to preen themselves after the trip).

The hens arrived terrified, but settled down quite a lot within 36 hours (so I assume they were fairly well-treated before, to settle down that fast.) They're not lap chickens and don't want to be touched/petted, but are calm around people.

One chicken is missing a tail, and one hen arrived with scabs on her comb that are now healing (I'm guessing the comb was injured in catching/transport, but don't know for sure.)

No hen has shown any symptoms of sickness.

Apart from the coop size, and the missing nestbox, it looks to me like the farm did a fairly good job. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom