PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Pics
After just completely breaking down, I was assured that yes, if we keep the hens I will not be stopped from building them a bigger coop. I'm very happy about this. I've just been extremely stressed out lately and knowing that I'll be able to give them a real home if we keep them has made me feel so much better. I'd say that that's a positive update in my chicken situation.

It looks dirty enough that I may as well. I think that it's going to be hard to keep it clean without completely replacing it frequently, because of the amount of chickens doesn't work with the square footage, that way the poop is waaaaaaay more concentrated.
Update on this: I have decided that I'll wait a few days until their new run extension is here to do this. I want them to have more space and not be all cramped while I'm cleaning out their coop.

Today's update:
I was told that the chickens are one year old.
Still no eggs.
They have knocked over their feeder again-we don't have a milk jug yet but I will make a milk jug feeder ASAP.
Their waterer is gross again-I'll try to raise it higher up.
Tomorrow or Friday I'm going to do a complete replacement of their bedding.
Tomorrow the run extension is going to come. I don't know what time, though.

Last edited:
I'd agree wholeheartedly-but my parents don't want to go for it. If we keep the hens, I'll give them a real setup-I'm building it myself, and picking everything out. And believe me, I REALLY want to keep the hens. You're also right-this was the LEAST cost efficient option. It cost $1400 for this pathetic rental setup. (I explained that this was the worst possible option) (it got me nowhere)
$1400!?! I'm in the wrong business!!!! I'm sorry but, 1. I never heard of anyone renting hens, and 2. I think this is a huge rip-off and scam.

$1400!?! I'm in the wrong business!!!! I'm sorry but, 1. I never heard of anyone renting hens, and 2. I think this is a huge rip-off and scam.
I'd agree that it's a huge rip off and scam, don't worry about offending me. I wanted to order some chicks and build a coop myself, parents didn't want chickens, so we compromised...now I'm just hoping that I can keep the hens and give them a real home.

I'd agree that it's a huge rip off and scam, don't worry about offending me. I wanted to order some chicks and build a coop myself, parents didn't want chickens, so we compromised...now I'm just hoping that I can keep the hens and give them a real home.
If nothing else, you're getting lots of experience. Don't mind me, I'm the queen of the freak-out. This is my face: :eek:on a good day, lol. Donald Duck is my spirit animal :lau. You'll be fine. Challenges build character so you'll be one tough cookie by the time you get all squared away. ❤

If nothing else, you're getting lots of experience. Don't mind me, I'm the queen of the freak-out. This is my face: :eek:on a good day, lol. Donald Duck is my spirit animal :lau. You'll be fine. Challenges build character so you'll be one tough cookie by the time you get all squared away. ❤
Yep, I am glad for the experience, especially because I at one point want to raise chicks to add to these hens! I'm also going to be building any coop for them myself, which will be a bit of a challenge because I've never built anything before. But I'd do anything to get to the future I see for myself with 7 happy hens!

I don't know about a "scam" (at least they delivered chickens, even if not the ones they were supposed to) but 100% a rip off. But some people like the idea of not having to commit, even though it honestly is costing more than if you'd simply bought a set up and some chickens.
Good point, scam wasn't the best word. I think that my parents were worried that I'd last a few days, then expect them to take care of the girls! I'm very determined to get through this rental so that I can hopefully keep them and build them a bigger coop, and eventually add some more chicks!

Back
Top Bottom