please help! I have a sick hen.

shultz06

Hatching
Jul 3, 2016
2 days ago I noticed one of my hens was acting different. She wasn't very active and just laying around while out other chickens were busy pecking and clucking. I went to examine her and she had a small white plastic looking thing hanging from her vent. She also had yoke all over her foot. I did some research and ended up soaking her in warm water. I also decided I needed to go inside her vent to make sure she wasn't egg bound. I didn't feel an egg, but every time I removed my finger yoke came out. The area directly under her vent looks quite bloated. I checked on her this morning and let her out in the yard with the rest of the flock. She seems to be in the same condition. She jumps out of the coops walks around a bit and then just stands there and finally lays down with her tail feather hunched down.

I think your going to need to bath her and soak her vent.... (a few times a day)
try to make sure all the yolk is out of there, so it doesn't cause infection...
she might have egg shell up in there also...

Is it prolapsed.....?
If so, soak her in warm water, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
If the skin is hanging out, after the bath and you feel you got everything out of there...
you can use a little bit of preparation H to help shrink the skin back to normal....

Thank you so much! I will try soaking her more. I did twice yesterday and she seems a bit better today. I'm not sure what prolapsed is??? This is my first time dealing with a sick hen. Do I need to stick my finger inside her vent again?

It's when it looks like the inside of the vent is hanging outside the vent....
Keep soaking her vent a couple times a day..... we give them peas when we soak our chickens... =)
The soaking can only help....! If she perks up after a few days, that may have been the problem...
I know you don't want egg shell or egg yolks to linger inside her, or will cause an infection...

That's good to hear, hopefully that will fix the problem !
maybe some scrambled egg, and vinegar in her water...
also some probiotic
Wishing her a quick recovery...!

Back
Top Bottom