Please help!! I love my roosters!!!

KarenP

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Westport
I seem to have a problem with my 3 roosters that i thought i might be able to fix!! I have 1 RIR roo and 1 barred rock bantam roo in a coop with 5 pullets. They have all been raised together and they get along just fine. The 2 roosters even sleep together with the hens. I do plan on purchasing about 3-4 new pullets to join their flock to avoid over mating. I also have 1 white rock roo and 2 pullets still in a cage in the house. They are 6 weeks and about ready to go outside. I purchased a seperate coop and run for them and plan on getting two more pullets to join their flock.

The problem??? All of these experienced people tell me that sooner or later my 2 roos are going to mature and make each others lives miserable, as well as the hens. They are about 11 weeks old right now. Is their any chance they will establish who the main rooster is and get along when they are older. I love all of them and it would break my heart to have to give any of them up. I'm so tired of people telling me that if i don't plan on breeding, roosters are useless!! I happen to think they are awesome!! They are friendlier then my hens, i love the sound of crowing roosters, and i see them as pets. Any advice would be appreciated!!

The boys:
102726_img_20110829_122339.jpg

102726_img_20110822_191925.jpg

102726_img_20110829_125304.jpg

Side by side with their girls!!!

I have 3 LF roos in one flock...2 RIR's and one EE. Along with that I have 2 bantam roos running with them...one OEGB and one MF D'Uccle. I also have a few baby roos of bantams and some young Delaware roos. No one fights. My LF have been living together for 1 1/2 years. The "Top" roo chases the second who chases the third but no one has ever drawn blood. If they grow up together and you have a good ratio of hens, you will be fine. I also have like 15 hens per roo too so there are PLENTY to go around
tongue.png

I too am having the same problems and yes it is true that once they mature they will fight for dominance. I have 1 EE roo and 1 d'uccle roo (bantam) the EE has started harassing the little bantam so much that he hides from him constantly when in the run and stays on the other side of the yard when they free range.
My husband and I got a used little tikes playhouse and created a bantam coop, we have 2 hens also, and tonight we put all 3 in for the night, hoping that they will be safe and comfy in there and when i let them out to free range everyone will get along ok.
Any thougths on this will be greatly appreciated by me too.

I have had multiple roos before and there was no fighting. I would make sure that you have plenty of hens for each one otherwise the poor hens will be suffering. If there are ever any problems since you have two coops you could always switch the roos around if needed. Just a thought.

I love having roosters! I've had roosters raised together and seemed very happy together in a flock. I've had roosters raised together and they get along for about 8 months and then start fight and then I have to seperate them because I can't stand to see any blood! They have never fought to the death, just little battles. There combs get beat up and start bleeding. Each rooster has such a unique personality you never know which ones will get along. Its always worth trying to keep several roosters together in a flock if you have the room, there are so many roosters that need homes!
D.gif

Thank you for your advice, i feel silly but i am so stressed over this. Hopefully everything works out!! I don't want to give any of them up.

One will become the dominant roo and the other will live underneath him. Usually the lower roo will stay out of the dominant roos way but there will be a few squabbles.

At least thats how it works in my flock.

Quote:
I agree. this is what has been the case for me. Maybe at sexual maturity they might find their order but don't be too quick to intervene. They will figure it out so long as you have enough hens!!

I'm here to tell ya you can keep more than one rooster, despite what "everyone" says to the contrary.

I've got eleven mature roosters and a slew of youngster cockerels, standard sized and bantam breeds included.

There's some chasing, some bawking here and there, but after the pecking order has been established, that's about it.

If your roosters become a problem, address it then. Don't get all wound up anticipating something which may not be a problem in your flock at all.

i am having rooster problems too. i love my roosters. one prob is i have 3 and only 3 hens. we just wanted hens and that is what everybody was supposed to be. i love them. i think roosters are greta and beautiful. they are a little intimidating though. there is just something about them when they get big. mine are HUGE! they are around 21 weeks old. they dont fight but my husband says you just wait they will start fighting. they have gotten a little more mocho. rocky has flogged us and company too. people say he will just get worse if he is already doing that. he doesnt do it all the time but i feel i have to keep my eye on him. buddy wants the chics all the time. and george is at the bottom and trying to be more. i feel sorry for him. i dont want to give 2 of them up but i dont want to have to keep them peened away from each other eithr. they free range most of the time. and most of the time they do good with each other. the girls are the ones that arent enjoying them.

Back
Top Bottom