PLEASE HELP!!! I need to know what to feef breeding chickens!!

Chevis

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Brunot
I want to sell hatching eggs, & chicks. I really need to know what is best. Im feeding Layin crumbles, and corn.

Do your chickens free range or pasture? Laying crumbles and small amounts of corn should be fine, and you can also feed scraps from the kitchen. The primary things you need to be sure to address when feeding laying/breeding chickens is that they have good protein content in the food you feed, and that they have access to unlimited calcium supplies like oyster shell. Be sure your chickens also have grit if they aren't free range. My chickens are free range, so I don't heavily feed laying crumbles, and corn is ALWAYS treat only. The whole flock never gets more than 2 scoops a day, and I have 13 chickens. I haven't hatched any of my fertile eggs yet, but I have good strong shells on all our eggs.

I prefer to feed a higher protein grower type feed to breeders. Currently I am feeding a 22% Turkey/Game Bird feed. I believe the higher protein positively influences both productivity & fertility.

Awesome!! Thanks Soooooo Much !!!! Theyr free range chickens, Ill take the carn away, and start giving a higher protien feed! Thank u two!!

I've heard recommendations that you should cut down on the calcium intake just slightly, thats what you get when you buy breeder pellets, same food less calcium. It's so that the egg shells get slightly thinner and the chicks can get out of them easier. You should not attempt to moderate their calcium intake yourself though, that will end with disaster. Switch them to breeder pellets if you can, and like other people said boost their protien.

Quote:
There is a lot of differences between a Layer Feed and a Breeder Feed.
Yes in breeder feed the Calcium is a bit lower in some brands but some brand will also have:
• Higher Protein
• Higher Vitamin A,
• Higher Vitamin D3,
• Higher Vitamin E,
• Lower Salt
• Lower Phosphorus

• Note -

(D3 will increase calcium absorption in the intestine, mobilize calcium from the bones and reduce calcium excretion via the kidney.
So by Lowering the Calcium a bit and Raising the Vitamin D3 a bit a Rooster can eat the same feed as a hen without worry of extra Calcium building up in his kidneys and you will still get strong shells..)

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom