PLEASE HELP i think my newly hatched chick is sick

DAVINAKEITH

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
my chick hatched yesterday at 3pm and all it does is chirp loudly and then fall over like it is falling asleep this is how one of my other chicks acted when it had marcks disease but it was alot older is there something i can do to help this chick he is very alert when he hears a noise or something or is this normal for a newborn chick

Last edited:
is there some medicine i can go and get the chick to help make it stronger or something i am so worried because this is the only egg that hatched and my son is already so attached

Newborn chicks constantly fall asleep. They look like they've got narcolepsy. One minute they're running around peeping, and then they fall over and start snoozing. It's totally normal. I thought it was funny when all of my new little guys started doing it.

How many chickens do you have?

Last edited:
yes only one has hatched and i dont think the rest are going to thank you so much we were so worried we have never hatched our own you made us feel so much better thank you thank you

You're welcome. - If you don't have any other chickens at all, you might want to see about picking up some day old chicks at a local feed store. Chickens are social creatures and that little guy will get very lonely all by himself.

we are going to get some more but they dont come in until the first week of april

thumbsup.gif

Poor lil guy, I had a lone chick for 2 days b/c he decided to hatch early and I just made sure to visit him and cuddle with him and now he is my big baby rooster lol! I would have never thought a project for my daughter and myself would turn into my best friend pet roo, all b/c he hatched early HA!

Make sure you have the brooder warm enough for the chick.
Without others to huddle with it may be cold.

A couple stuffed animals or a little nest will help a lot.

Keeping the chick in your shirt will help too and he/she will call you Momma.
Remember that Tom and Jerry episode with the little duck baby? MOMMA!!!

thumbsup.gif

i am the same way i never thought i could get attached to a chicken until last year my son got 2 chicks and they were my babies they followed me around the yard we had the best time with them so we decided to try and hatch our own and it has been a great experience for me and the kids

Back
Top Bottom