PLEASE HELP I think this is wry neck?

HeidiGetsChicks

Songster
Apr 15, 2023
I woke up to two chicks hatched in the incubator, but one can't stand at all and its neck keeps going into an odd position.

It can't even get into a proper position while I'm holding it, it keeps trembling and like spasming into an odd position.

What I have on hand is Durvet vitamins & electrolytes, but it doesn't have any selenium in it and only a little vit E. It It has drank some already when I carefully dipped its beak a few times.

I've been unsuccessful finding anything with selenium at two different livestock stores, but I've just sent my husband out to a third one that supposedly has Selenium and Vitamin E Gel for goats that I read online has been used to good effect in chickens as well.

I've been keeping it separate from the others for its protection, it had a bleeding foot when I found it as I suspect the other newly hatched chick pecked it a fair bit. I'm also not sure this chick can move to/away from heat in the brooder on its own. I'm either holding it or putting it in a fresh clean bator for now.

Anything else I should be doing?

Attachments

• PXL_20230510_150458917.jpg
    PXL_20230510_150458917.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 165
Okay so I decided to do nutri-drench instead. It gives dilution instructions, but also says "for rapid response, feed directly in mouth". Does that mean at full concentration? Would you recommend doing that in this case?

I've placed it with the others under careful supervision because it seems to be getting around a little better, still not walking but can flop to a sitting position. It seemed like it wasn't resting well in the bator because it was too lonely. Now I think it can rest and recover hopefully.

It kept not being able to get up from its side under the heat plate, so now I'm trying carrying it around inside a loose shelf bra cami. :lol:

It seemed lonely so I got its tiny sibling that hatched with it sometime overnight to join it. Now I have two tiny chicks in my bra and they seem happy enough. :lol:

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with the hatching process! So hopefully someone else chimes in for you as I bump this. But I think very new chicks do flop around a bit at first as they figure things out. The more coordinated one might have hatched out and adjusted a bit quicker, so I wouldn't panic right away. Do you have access to a brooder light vs. just the heat plate where you can monitor the temperature of your brooding space? It should be around 95 degrees fahrenheit this early, and it's best if the chicks can move about from the highest heat area to milder areas if desired. That high heat is important right at the beginning, and as cosy as your bra probably is I worry the heat is not strong enough to prevent a chill for a weak chick if that's what you're dealing with.

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with the hatching process! So hopefully someone else chimes in for you as I bump this. But I think very new chicks do flop around a bit at first as they figure things out. The more coordinated one might have hatched out and adjusted a bit quicker, so I wouldn't panic right away. Do you have access to a brooder light vs. just the heat plate where you can monitor the temperature of your brooding space? It should be around 95 degrees fahrenheit this early, and it's best if the chicks can move about from the highest heat area to milder areas if desired. That high heat is important right at the beginning, and as cosy as your bra probably is I worry the heat is not strong enough to prevent a chill for a weak chick if that's what you're dealing with.

Oh! Sorry I wasn't clear, so these two are the last to hatch out of a dozen! And this is my second batch of hatching chicks. All the rest are walking pretty much fine within an hour or two. This one is not even able to "sit" normally in your hand, it keeps arching and twisting and tucking its head under its legs. I'm concerned especially that it is not even capable of resting comfortably no matter what I do.

Thanks for the reply! I too don't have much experience but I know enough to know that what I'm dealing with isn't normal.

I tried to attach a video but I can't figure out how to on this forum (or it's been disabled).

So I stuck it on youtube if anyone wants to take a look and tell me what you think. I just shot it and the chick is I estimate maybe 10 hours old. Hope it's okay to share, I just really want help with my chick!

I watched your video and I’ll just say I’m sorry your facing this because it is so hard. I have hatched a lot which means seen my share of hatching issues. I can tell you that I have seen some chicks like yours turn around but not the majority. Many people cull a chick like that and the reason is that it can be exhausting and a rollercoaster to put your heart into trying to save them and then loose them anyway.

It sounds like you are doing the things I could suggest which is vitamins/electrolytes and keeping it protected. I use watered down egg yolk, poultry cell and vitamin e capsules for weak/ problem chicks.

If you are up for it than carrying it in your bra with a buddy like your doing is going to be the most comfortable/safest place for it because it can feel secure/warm without being able to flop and hurt itself.

I hope that is helpful at all? Maybe some others will chime in with tips.

@BarnyardChaos just posted in the cinco de mayo hatch along thread about a similar issue. Maybe some info there could be useful to you.

Post in thread 'Cinco-de-Mayo Hatch-A-Long celebration!'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...atch-a-long-celebration.1573846/post-26817003

Back
Top Bottom