zoereef1221

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2016
North Carolina
32A61CE0-6B32-4A21-A386-E5B72507A9F8.jpeg
DDF51F97-5A5A-4BBA-96F0-7D5BA54200A9.jpeg
7B591009-8C6B-4827-9CCE-337CD9669EA4.jpeg
Pepper is a three year old hen. She was attacked by something 1.5-2 years ago (before we had an automatic chicken door) where her back end looked like something had ripped it off. Amazingly she healed and has lived with a small scabbed area on her abdomen below her vent. She laid eggs and lived a happy life.

That is up until now. It appears the scabbed area has broken open and tissue is hanging out. Two days ago it looked like a small tissue flap i thought maybe she scraped it on something or someone pecked her. Now its a huge mass hanging out. She is still eating and drinking, she has not laid eggs in over a week. I can imagine she is in pain.

What to do now any advice appreciated!!!

Oh no poor hen! Can you see organs hanging out, since her large intestines and oviduct which meet together in the cloaca, are right there? It looks pretty hopeless if her lower abdomen is opened up. Some hens can have enlarged lower bellies. Do you think any of the others have pecked at her vent or belly? Do you have Vetericyn or can you wash her off with warm water to get a look at what is sticking out?

Last edited:
Oh no poor hen! Can you see organs hanging out, since her large intestines and oviduct which meet together in the cloaca, are right there? It looks pretty hopeless if her lower abdomen is opened up. Some hens can have enlarged lower bellies. Do you think any of the others have pecked at her vent or belly? Do you have Vetericyn or can youwssh her off with warm water to get a look at what is sticking out?
I can get her in and clean her off. If it comes to having to put her down, what is the best way to do so?
I am just torn because she is still living, eating, walking. But I do realize her condition would likely not be compatible with life for long :-(

Im so sorry ,
I’d put her in a warm quiet place with food and water , she shouldn’t have to worry about getting pecked at.

Don’t rush to put her down ,
Give yourself and her a little time ,

Hugs :)

E607CA54-9683-4E05-931D-655106D69C42.jpeg
0F57F2F0-C602-47A4-A9D9-7CFBB58DF36E.jpeg
Oh no poor hen! Can you see organs hanging out, since her large intestines and oviduct which meet together in the cloaca, are right there? It looks pretty hopeless if her lower abdomen is opened up. Some hens can have enlarged lower bellies. Do you think any of the others have pecked at her vent or belly? Do you have Vetericyn or can you wash her off with warm water to get a look at what is sticking out?

I am so sorry about your hen. I can’t tell you to put her down or the best way, but just show the ways some do it. I have cut the jugular and let them bleed out. I have tried cervical dislocation, and had a bit of a time doing it either way. Whatever you use if it is an axe or knife, it has to be sharp. There are several YouTube videos available. My husband has shot a couple, but we live on a farm near the woods.

Back
Top Bottom