please help! is this a rooster or a hen????

vedrian

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 21, 2010
Hi everyone, we have six 6 month old backyard chickens. We believe one of them (the leghorn) may be a rooster but we are not sure. It's comb is larger than the others but it is not crowing (yet). It is smaller in size than than all the other chickens. Also, we have been getting a white egg every day. The other hens we have are....1 rhode island red, 1 barred rock, 2 americaunas, and 1 buff orphington. As far as I know none of those breeds should be laying white eggs. I'd appreciate any help with this. My husband and I are debating on weather it is a rooster or hen. please help solve the mystery!
Thanks,
Jaime

70242_dscn0048.jpg

70242_dscn0051.jpg

Last edited:
Well, based on the breeds you mentioned you have yourself a hen - none of those other breeds will lay a white egg. I have leghorns and there is no doubt about the whiteness of the egg!!! :)

Leghorns have big combs, and are true "layers" unlike the other "dual purpose" breeds you have in your flock of six. Layers are smaller bodied birds, because they're not intended to bulk up for meat.

So, yes, your Leghorn is a pullet and is the source of your white eggs.
smile.png

If you look behind and below the eye you will see a red patch on the RIR and wyandott and a then a white patch on the Leghorn. That is the color of egg that bird will lay. Actually the red patch indicated a brown egger,

Thanks everyone for your help! You solved the debate between me and my husband (and proved me to be correct)!!!! Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom