PLEASE HELP! Is This Normal?? Concerned Darker Spot On Egg Shell

I know this post was a long time ago but I'm wondering if your egg hatched because I'm having the same problem
sad.png

The original poster has not been on here in over 3 years, so not likely to respond. But maybe we can help? Can you post a pic of your egg? How far along is it in incubation? Have you candled the egg to see if the duckling is still alive and moving inside?

Sometimes a dark spot on the egg near it's due date will indicate where the duckling is trying to hatch out from. This often happens when they are in the wrong position inside of the egg and they may need assistance to get out. Anyway, a picture would definitely help us help you with your egg.

The egg is due to hatch tomorrow. It's an Apricot Call Duck egg. I candled It yesterday and saw some movement but today there is nothing. And the wet splotch looks like it has feather or crinkle lines around it which you can't see in the photo. I'm really doubting it's still alive but I'm hoping. I can shine a light through that area because the duckling isn't taking up that space.

Ok, is that the fat end of the egg (which has the air cell in it)? I can't tell from the angle of the pic. I'm guessing it is since you said you can shine the light through it. Very hard to see the dark spot as well, but I can just make it out. It could be trying to pip there. When you candle it can you see part of the shadow of the duckling sticking up in that open space by this dark spot? That would be his bill and indicate he has internally pipped and is working his way out. Has this spot gotten darker since you first noticed it? Ducklings do rest alot during the hatching process (typically 12-24 hours between each step of hatching), so it's still possible it is alive in there and was just resting when you candled. What day of incubation is it on? With call ducks I believe they typically hatch around day 26, and not day 28 like most other ducks, but that is just a ballpark figure.

At any rate, I would candle it again and see if you see any movement or any shadows in that open space where this dark area is. You can also try peeping to the egg and then tap very very gently on the shell right there, or scratch gently with a finger nail and then hold it up to your ear. They will usually respond to that by pecking, scratching, or peeping from inside, which will tell you it's still alive and well in there.

This is my first time hatching eggs and I've been opening and closing the incubator too much and I think I've dried out the duckling. I was trying to help one of my Pekin ducklings a bit and accidentally tore the skin but I didn't mean to and now it's bleeding. What do I do please please help me!!
hit.gif
I feel so stupid

I'm feeling really stupid!
he.gif
I've heard many times not to interfere with the hatching process but I did in any case. I put a damp paper towel over the part where I tore the blood vessel and the bleeding seems to have stopped. I'm just going to have to hope for the best
fl.gif
. This is one of my Pekin duck eggs that had already pipped through the shell and was starting to hatch. The Call duck eggs splotch is not on the air sack side, but by the bottom. Today is day 25 for the Call Duck so it's suppose to hatch tomorrow. I've shone a light on that area and I don't see any movement at all. The splotch hasn't gotten any darker since I last check but I don't think it's alive because I don't heard or see any thing
sad.png

You generally don't see anything right before hatch. Looking at your assisted hatch, I would put bacitracin or neosporin on the membranes to prevent drying out. Keep in the bator with high humidity. Check out @Sally Sunshine thread on assisted hatching before going any further. Also check out hatching 101 in the learning center. It sounds like the blood vessels are still receding. The yolk is possibly still being absorbed too.
Eta. Make sure the antibiotic ointment doesn't have any anesthetic.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the help and support all of you have given me
love.gif
It's been really stressful for me
th.gif
.. Unfortunately the Call Duck had died in it's shell and I think it had been dead for a while. But I'm happy to say that all my Pekin ducklings hatched. The one that I was worried about hatched by himself without my help, I found him at the bottom of the incubator the next morning. He was really weak and wasn't able to walk, but with some TLC and help from everyone in this community he's now running around and swimming with his siblings. He's just got a little blood spot on the right side of his face that I wasn't able to clean
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom