Please HELP! I've rescued a baby chick!!

kricky777

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Sandy, Utah
My daughters and I rescued a baby chick from some EVIL boys :mad: that were abusing him a couple of days ago! With a lot of TLC, prayer and chick feed he/she is doing great!!
big_smile.png
I have investigated many websites and crash coursed on baby chicks. However I need to figure out how old he is (we call "him" Chester) to go off of the guide lines. Does any one know how I can tell.
Second we are trying to find him a good home but I'm now sure what's best!!! We have all grown VERY attached to him and don't trust just anyone
sad.png
!! And I hear that they need to be with other babies not just adult chickens. Is that true?
Third he has a boney kind of lump on the right side of his chest. Could this be an injury from those boys or something else? He walks, runs, flies, stretches, eats and POOPS great but it still concerns me.
Anyone with any information on any of these matters will be GREATLY appreciated!!

13363_chester1.jpg
My newest edition Chester
13363_chestermackenzie.jpg

My oldest Daughter Mackenzie Elizabeth
13363_chester_goose.jpg

My youngest Daughter September Grace AKA Goose

Last edited:
I am nursing an injured 2 month old pullet right now. In examining her I felt that bony spot on the chest so I am thinking it's probably normal.

I am glad that chick found you!!! Hope you find it a good home.

what you are feeling is most likely the breast bone and that is normal. If you could post a a picture or two of your baby it would help greatly in guessing ages and type. Yes they really do need to be around other baby chicks as they are a flock animal. Putting it in with adults could be very bad, depending on how old it is as an adult chicken can kill a baby chick.. Good luck and post pics of it.

Hi Krickey..and welcome. First, let me say....THANK YOU for rescueing that poor little chick. If you could post a few pics, we might be able to give a pretty good guess at the age and breed. As for the lump....if its on the right side, and squishy...just on the breat area...most likely the crop. ( where the food goes before digestion) They really DO need to be with other chicks close to thier own age. Maybe get a mirror....and a little stuffed animal for company untill you can figure what you will do. I say...GET MORE CHICKS!!
tongue.png
I know, I am such an enabler!
big_smile.png
Where are you located?? If you cant keep the little one, maybe someone on here can take it for you...( Or help you get a few more)

Congrats on your new addition! (There are rewards in Heaven for people like you!!!) If Chester is eating and pooping, then he's a survivor and will definately make it! I agree, post pics and share the love. In a few months, if he is growing sex feathers (long skinny feathers from his neck and more just before his tail feathers...then he can keep the name "Chester". If those feathers are short and round, SHE will need her name changed.

Good Luck!....and welcome to your new addiction...come on in, the water's fine!
big_smile.png

OMG, that chick is so adorable! I am so glad that you found him and rescued him! I have no idea about the breed of chicken however, sorry! He is quite young from the picture. 2 weeks maybe...

They really do need more than one chicken to be happy. Is there a certain reason that you can not keep the chick and buy him a friend or two? Just curious since you daughter (who is adorable too) seems really attached. Two or three chickens really do not need that big of a space
duc.gif

If you can not keep the chick maybe post here at least the state you are in and maybe someone can give him a great home that you could visit.

Thank you all so much!!! Yes justusnak you certainly don't make it any easier! LOL However my boyfriend said the same thing!!! We live in a duplex so a chicken is not the most practical idea but I think we may keep spoiling him until he is big enough to live outdoors. My grandmother lives on 3/4 acre in the country so we can relocate him eventually. If we do that then we WILL get another baby chick! And thanks for the great mirror idea i never would have thought about it!! We live in Sandy Utah. Thanks Again
wink.png

I won't even ask what abuse the poor baby was enduring or where those beasts even got it from, but I want to say "thanks" to you on behalf of your little voiceless baby! This world needs more people like you to stand up for those who can't help themselves.
smile.png

My BIL in West Jordan keeps some chickens and my brother in south Utah County has many chickens. I imagine either would be happy to give the chick home if you are willing to take it to them.

I'm certain that there are also other BYCers from SL County that would be happy to take her.

Chester looks like a baby barred rock, and possibly a girl. From what I've read, if the spot on his/her head is distinct and not scattered with black, and if there are black shadows along the fronts of her legs and tops of the toes, then it's a girl. Also, as the feathers come in, the girls are darker with less of the grey/silver.

Back
Top Bottom