please help, lethargic, anorexic chick...

imaduck

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Mount Vernon, Washington
i have a four week old chick who just two days ago moved outside to the coop. she has always been very active and eager to eat... typical... but this morning when i went out to check on everybody, she was lethargic and wouldn't eat/appears to not have eaten for a while as her crop seems empty... i brought her inside and put her back under the light. she's still all fluffed up, head tucked into her shoulders, not moving, not eating... it's been unseasonably warm and with her little buddies, i was not at all concerned about having her outside. we are leaving in an hour for california... anything? anybody? it breaks my heart to have to leave now... thanks, t

Since you're leaving, I'd put her back with the others and hope, as being alone will add to her stress.

Unless you have a caregiver in your absence with enough experience and time to provide some extra care for her, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably didn't catch you before you left - I hope everything goes OK with your chickie. If someone is taking care of them while you are gone, and you check the forums, I'd suggest some vitamin/electrolyte solution instead of water for a bit. If you don't have any supplements like that, I suppose you could give them some Gatorade for the short term. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

Back
Top Bottom