PLEASE HELP, Losing a chicken a day! UPDATE: CORYZA CONFIRMED.

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Local vet confirmed that it is indeed infectious coryza. I have only lost one since I took action. Every bird that shows a severe reaction I immediately put in the chick brooder with food and a multivitamin/electrolyte and tetracycline in the water. El Diablo, my favorite rooster (show above), is all better and back with the flock! The three silkies are still very sick but improving daily. It affected hens way more than it affected the roosters and had no discrimination on age. The Turkens seemed to handle in the best and I am pretty sure I got this disease from my newly aquired polish chickens who never showed any signs during this whole ordeal. I quarantine every new bird but it didn't help in this situation. Once a chicken has gotten this virus and gotten over it, they will not show any signs. All my survivors will always be carriers of this disease and therefor I cannot bring in any uninfected birds or give any away. I refuse to "cull" the flock off because they are all beloved pets. QUARANTINE DOESN'T INSURE YOUR FLOCKS SAFETY! Be careful when adopting older birds. Wish my flock luck in the future.

Oh and ducks rule! They cannot contract Coryza!
big_smile.png
So glad they are doing better

Yeah I don't know what yours is, but I just discovered a drug called SULMET at the feed store that is a miracle drug. My last 3 birds would not come out of it and this stuff cleared it up quick. Might be worth your time to look into it.

Well it has been about 2 months and the cold weather has taken a terrible toll on my flock. They were all so weak from the coryza that I have lost about 9 more hens. Some died without showing any symptoms and some starting having labored breathing and died. I need to go pick up more Sulmet but it looks like it is all over for now. My big problem now is that I have about 12 roosters and 15 hens now! That is a bad ratio but I can never add new chickens or give mine away. These are my dear pets and I will not cull them. Oddly the disease seemed to only effect my hens. I only lost a couple roosters and about 16 hens. This was a horrible experience and after all these die over the next few years I will be totally cleaning to run and coop and starting all over again with what I have learned.

Back
Top Bottom