1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help! Malpositioned chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EmmaJane88, Feb 18, 2014.

1. EmmaJane88

EmmaJane88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Hi all,

I have a chick who's pipped from the wrong end. It's not broken the outer membrane but it's trying to. I've attached a picture.

What do I do? Can it breathe?

If I go too early I could nick a vein, leave it much longer it could die of exhaustion.

Please help!!!

2. EmmaJane88

May 28, 2013
    Bump

3. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello I have had a chick who had pipped at the wrong end and I left it for 36 hours but made sure it had a breathing hole and then I helped the little guy out by picking around the shell where he had pipped and then he pushed his self out but sadly he was to weak and had a broken leg so sadly he did not make it [​IMG] but thats just nature have any others hatched yet hoping he will be ok but you can not intervene until about 36 hours so then you can make sure he has absorbed his yolk sack and veins or maybe wait a little longer you can also make sure that the membrane (If any is showing around where he pipped is moist) Hope this helps.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Every time I have helped a chick hatch because it had challenges the chick did not survive or had problems that forced us to euthanize them.

Good luck.

5. EmmaJane88

May 28, 2013
    Thanks for your advice. I have two others who have pipped correctly so wary of opening the incubator too much. It's a strong little thing but the membrane seems just too stretchy for it to puncture. I can see veins when I moisten it so I made a tiny tiny hole where there were none but it's a good 1/2 cm away from where its beak keeps pushing through.

Never had this before so really sad :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by