Please help me!! Chickens Dying

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
So last week we had a chicken die on us. First she had a wounded leg so I seperated her from the flock. She didn't seem sick for awhile but then she started getting lethargic and not moving. She got infested with lice. She began to just lay in one spot day and night and eventually passed. I have no idea what she was sick with. At first I thought she was egg bound but that wasn't the case. I treated her for the lice but it was already too late. I wasn't able to save her. She died Friday night. Today another one of my hens has come down with something and is acting the same way. I found her in the neighbors yard and called her back over to me but she didn't come which isn't like her. She always comes when I call. I had to go pick her up. Her comb is purplish, she is lethargic and when I sat her in the coop she kind of just fell onto her stomach and layed there. Please if anyone knows what this could be I truly need help. We lost my sons pullet and this hen happens to be the first one I owned. I do not want to lose her.

They eat egg layer crumbles and whatever bugs they find around the yard. The pullet that died was 7-8 months old and hadn't started laying eggs yet. This hen is 1 1/2. The weather here is hot bc we are in florida but it has been slightly cooler the past couple of days, low 80s. They don't typically go in the coup. They free range and sleep in trees at night.

Did you find out the cause of the wound on the chicken that died? Could this hen that is sick have been injured as well? I would look her over for lice and mites, and treat her with permethrin 0.5% spray or dust. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty and flat, full, hard, or puffy like a balloon? Give her Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 2 ml orally, or some electrolytes or Gatorade, and some water. Look at your feed in case it has become moldy, and look for any sign of poison or plants they might have eaten. If you should lose her, keep the body refrigerated, but not frozen, and take it to your state vet for a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I have no idea what caused the pullets leg to get injured. She was limping and not putting any pressure on it and there were no visible wounds so I assumed she hurt it flying down from the tree. I will go out now and check for all of that. Thank you

You had stated that the second one was in your neighbor's yard. Could they have been poisoned?
I hadn't thought of that.. I guess it is possible. They wonder over there sometimes But the neighbor is very old and doesn't come out of his house much. He has people that does mows his yard for him.

Did you find out the cause of the wound on the chicken that died? Could this hen that is sick have been injured as well? I would look her over for lice and mites, and treat her with permethrin 0.5% spray or dust. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty and flat, full, hard, or puffy like a balloon? Give her Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 2 ml orally, or some electrolytes or Gatorade, and some water. Look at your feed in case it has become moldy, and look for any sign of poison or plants they might have eaten. If you should lose her, keep the body refrigerated, but not frozen, and take it to your state vet for a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
I have not found any lice or mites and her crop feels empty.

Thank you I saved that link.

Back
Top Bottom