Please help me! Cold climate.

Don't know if you saw this in Aarts signature, but this thread talks a lot about how get ventilation to work properly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

I have california whites. They are a leghorn, barred rock cross, with large combs and they got some frostbite when the two -30 nights came. It was fine, they have already healed up, I just had to watch closely to make sure that nothing got infected or picked at. If you find you have any trouble with frostbite on your leghorn combs, you can look into rosecomb leghorns sold at Mcmurray's hatchery, but I'll bet they'll be fine.

I have a golden comet with a huge comb and she hasn't got frostbite once. Every time I think I can hang my hat on something, it falls to the floor😋. Most of the other smaller, single comb breeds may get a touch of frostbite, but nothing that even needs watching in my experience.

If you ever get a rooster you may want to pick any breed that doesn't have a single comb, just so you don't have to worry because they can get frostbite worst of all. I do have a single comb rooster, and I have to watch his comb for a bit each winter, sometimes put some salve on it.

Frostbite on the feet is a bigger problem, but the woods coop looks like it has a lot of floor space, so they will have plenty of room to walk around inside in the winter. The attached run we built has a roof, and we fill it with shavings all winter so they have a dry place to walk around on very cold days. When it is in the 30s we let them go outside, but sometimes they don't even want to go out till it is close to 40 degrees. We let them decide, but they basically stay in the coop and run most of the winter.

Some folks will use flat roosts, similar to 2"x4"s, that way at night their feet are tucked into their feathers. They say the chickens prefer it. We haven't needed to do that, since ours have dry feet almost all the time, but it is a good idea.
Do you ever put Vaseline on their combs to prevent frost bite? I don't know anything about if it works or not, I just read it randomly from somewhere.

I tried a mix of beeswax and olive oil on the combs years ago, and it was clear that it didn't make a difference, so I would have to second Aart. The idea is to keep moisture off their combs, but keeping the moisture from building up in the air is the thing that really gets results.

You all are so super helpful! I do have a question regarding the woods coop. ( I'm making my way through the book right now) My understanding is that the lower openings are left open year round, but the upper opening is closed in very cold weather. I'm wondering why? Why not leave both open? Or why not close the lower one and leave the upper open? Wouldn't moisture start to accumulate along the ceiling if the upper window is closed?

You all are so super helpful! I do have a question regarding the woods coop. ( I'm making my way through the book right now) My understanding is that the lower openings are left open year round, but the upper opening is closed in very cold weather. I'm wondering why? Why not leave both open? Or why not close the lower one and leave the upper open? Wouldn't moisture start to accumulate along the ceiling if the upper window is closed?
Because closing all the other openings creates an air cushion, fresh air can come in the front but can't move thru, keeping the back of the coop/roosts free of feather ruffling drafts. This is the main function of a Woods, and why the dimensions(proportions) and operation(window closure) are very important.

I'm brand new to this. I'm sure there's discussion about this but I am having trouble finding the right answer. First I live in Ohio. This past winter we dipped down to - 20 degrees below zero. We're building a coop from scratch. I found a picture of one I like with 3 sides wood and the fourth side is all framed hardware cloth. I'm guessing it's an 8 foot by 8 foot cube with a slanted roof. We have 10 chicks now ( currently in our house) do I need to cover the 4 the side or partially cover it next winter when the hen's are outside for the winter. I'm nervous about the cold and love my little chicks so much. I need suggestions and assurance, especially from people who understand keeping chickens in the Midwest cold.
I would try putting insulation in, it kept my coop warm!

Okay, so I more or less finished the woods book yesterday ( skipping the parts on large coops and coal brooders). So the main point I'm walking away with is: air, air, ( don't be a scared-y-cat) , and more air. With that being said, I looked over the 42 pages of pictures of coops on this site and most of what I see is boxes, boxes and more boxes. Please be patient with me cause I'm learning this for the first time and I am looking for clarification. If I am to narrow things down to what I actually need, could I possibly do this: I have a very very large covered 3 sided porch with the opening towards the north. ( Guestimating 25 x 20 feet) if I put up a small 8 foot wind block on part of the north side to keep direct storms from blasting in, could I just essentially put up a hardware cloth pen for the chickens under my covered porch for the winter? Is there any reason why everyone is using the box like coops? Do chickens like hiding places? I seriously don't know and that's why I'm asking.

Pictures of your porch? I can see at least two ways that description could be in real life.

So many use box-like coops because that is what most of the plans are - but the plans are usually drawn by builders who do not keep chickens. Or copied from builders who do not keep chickens.

Combined with people assuming chickens would be most comfortable in the same conditions people would prefer.

Chickens do like hiding places but that is different than a den-like home. They want hiding places to get out of sight of each other and get out of reach of hawks when threatened. Their instincts tell them to go high into trees to roost at night.

Pictures of your porch? I can see at least two ways that description could be in real life.

So many use box-like coops because that is what most of the plans are - but the plans are usually drawn by builders who do not keep chickens. Or copied from builders who do not keep chickens.

Combined with people assuming chickens would be most comfortable in the same conditions people would prefer.

Chickens do like hiding places but that is different than a den-like home. They want hiding places to get out of sight of each other and get out of reach of hawks when threatened. Their instincts tell them to go high into trees to roost at night.
Ok, I'll send pictures, but please excuse the mess. It's been used as storage/ fix up shop for the past year. I plan to clear it out in the next coming weeks.

Ok, I'll send pictures, but please excuse the mess. It's been used as storage/ fix up shop for the past year. I plan to clear it out in the next coming weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230323_140314730.jpg
    IMG_20230323_140314730.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230323_140257286.jpg
    IMG_20230323_140257286.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230323_140237176_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230323_140237176_HDR.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230323_140209036_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230323_140209036_HDR.jpg