Please help me detemine what breeds we have :>)

mama2chickies

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Hi,
I am a newbie chicken owner. About 3 weeks ago I talked dh into chicks while we were in the feed store. The bins had been labeled a number of times and the old labels never removed. The owner could not even tell us what we were getting. We just picked them as we liked their coloring and personality. We have had them for about 3 weeks now and I have been researching and pooring over pictures trying to figure this out with not much luck. Also if you have any guesses as to what sex that would be awesome! I home school my kids and we are doing this as a school project as well and would like to learn about our guys/gals espeacially.
Thanks so much!

1)Sunny Bunny-very laid back and gentle, sleeps alot, even eats and drinks laying down, not very active, is picked on by all the other birds and has to be kept with the "babies", will not defend itself, grew very fast and has outgrown all the others we got at the same time that were the same size, missing lots of feathers, very large bottom, can not fly seems to heavy, loves to be held and petted, came out of bin that said buff orpington
When we first got (it)
57821_img_1092.jpg

4 weeks later
57821_img_1767.jpg

2)Bumble Bee-very busy, is flying, first to scratch, chalenges(sp?) others, can out of a bin that said bantam, does not like to be held
First Pic
57821_img_1277.jpg

4 weeks later
57821_img_1770.jpg

3)Griffen-sweet, pretty docile, flying, doesnt mind being held, gets along well with others, bin said Rhode Island Red(I was thinking maybe partridge rock?)
First pic
57821_img_1269.jpg

4 weeks later
57821_img_1809.jpg

4)Houdini-smallest, seems to not have grown in 4 weeks, but has wing feathers and can fly a bit, very friendly, will roost or light on you on own, loves to be held, gets along and holds own with others even though is smallest, was in bantam bin (was thinking Japanese Black?)
Fist Pic -looks grey but is solid black
57821_img_1001.jpg

Now 4 weeks can see grayish/whitish bottom
57821_img_1772.jpg

5)Nugget-small, minds own business, doesnt like to be held, has feathered feet, came out of bantam bin, 5 toes
first pic
57821_img_1287.jpg

4 weeks
57821_img_1854.jpg

6)Butterfly-first flyer, wings developed first, very friendly, like to roost already, will willingly roost on you, gets along well with others, bin said sex links
only have 1 good pic 4 weeks after we got (it)
57821_img_1803.jpg

7)Patty-feathered feet, 5 toes, like to be held and loved, very docile, gets along well with others, was in the bantam bin
first pic
57821_img_1108.jpg

4 weeks later
57821_img_1856.jpg

8)Peep-very fluffy, very soft, docile, gets along with others, flying, bin said Buff Orpington(this one i think is right on?) heard they lay double yolks is this true?
first pic
57821_img_1090.jpg

4 weeks later
57821_img_1782.jpg

My husband also just Friday brought home 2 silver laced wyandotte, and 2 barred rock, the barred rock seem to be aggressive towards others in my flock plucking feathers is this normal behavior should I find them home. The flock had no problems before these last 4 arrived.

Please please help me! I have become obsessed with trying to find these out on the net. LOL My kids and husband would like it if I joined the real world again. LOL!

they sure are cute, I like the little one with feathers on its legs, does it have 5 toes? I am not sure what they are, when they are little they can look so much like any breed. maybe at least the redish one might be rhode island red.. the first one is a rooster with the look at that comb....
as for your other new additions, sometimes it takes time to get them used to each other, they should be quarinteed for a month to make sure they don't have any diseases, a pen so they can see each other helps them get to know each other, my DH puts them in at night when it is dark also. picking feathers is sometimes pecking order being established, or sometimes they need more protien.

OK, your first one is a roo and looks like either a Cornish X or a Leghorn. Def not a Orphington.
Second one looks like an EE.
Three looks like a RIR.
Four I have no idea.
Five looks like a D'uccles
Six is a Black Sex Link pullet
Seven looks like another D'uccles
Eight is a Buff Orphington.

I could be wrong about some, so if I am, I hope someone comes along to help you.

Given your description of #1 and it's picture I would say for sure that #1 is a cornish cross.

#2 Could be an EE but I don't see muffs which I think they usually have.

#3 I think you're right RIR

#4. 5. 6 and 7 I don't know

Number 8 is a buff orpington if it's legs are whitish. Buff rock if they are really yellow.

Our barred rocks are by far the most active/aggressive/flyers etc. Once they get into a bigger space I think you will love their personality. Wait to get rid of them.

A cornish x is bred to put on weight unnaturally fast for slaughter. they almost never live long. I think the only way to help them live longer is to limit their weight gain.

Good luck they are all cute.

I see a definite Cornish Cross Roo for number one. I also see a buttercup for the one with the speckling around the eyes, a pullet for number two. Number three is a RIR cross of somekind, maybe a Red Star or New Hamp. 4) Is possibly a Black Jersey Giant, I think they have the blacker legs over an EE 5) Seems to be a Partridge Cochin Bantam 6) A black sex-link (Black Star) pullet a Roo would have the white dot on his head and feather out barred. 7) 5 toes throws me? I would first guess a partridge cochin bantam? and 8) is a golden comet or possibly a buff orp looks like a pullet. You must post the results when you get them all grown out. This is fun. HenZ

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I read about the Cornish X and that sounds spot on for this guy! Makes me sad for him as I read they don't live long do to growing to large to quick and the extra weight on their legs. They say to restrict food to make them grow slower, not sure how to do that as there is always one other with him or he screams. I am trying to learn and was wondering what makes you say it is a roo, I heard someone mention the comb. What do you look for?
I also read about the EEs, and didnt even really take notice my guy doesn't have tail feathers. So that sounds spot on as well. Do the D'uccles have 5 toes? My guys do. And Sex, link and Buff seems right to. Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom