1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP ME! Face being eaten? Beaks gone???? Help! GRAPHIC PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smokin Silkies, Jun 16, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    OOh my gosh that is so horrible!! I'm so sorry [​IMG] ~ I can't even imagine what could be doing that~ somebody pointed out maybe it's a creepy neighbor or teenage kid that is doing it?? Some people are sick and sadistic torturing animals. Some lady caught some teenage boys in her backyard a few weeks ago throwing her chickens in the air like a football. Do you have a lock on your coop, or do you have alot of houses close to you? It seems like a very strange thing for a predator to do and then not eat the bird? I'm curious to see the pics of your coop is there wire mesh near the birds that a predator could grab the beak through the wire and possible tear it... I really hope you can stop whatever it is [​IMG]

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2!!!

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] Nothing comes to mind but a human to do something like that. To weird for a predator...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Rats or weasel?

Chickens are just lumps of meat in the dark... often they just sit there as they are being chewed apart or their neighbors are being picked off the roof. If the pred makes noise and they have enough moonlight, they will also sound off and make a ruckus, but getting to the scene of the crime requires that to be loud enough for you to wake up and go out there.

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    It looks like the chickens got their beaks in or through a hole and a predator attacked. I can't think of anything bacterial, etc., that would move that fast.

6. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    OMGosh I'm at a loss for words sitting here with my mouth hanging open [​IMG] Can't imagine how horrible the pain is for these guys.

8. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    My Silkies RARELY! sit on the perch ever... If they did...whats the chances that the Silkie would have its beak sticking out the window....come to think of it, I believe the roosts are behind the window.. I don't even think they can reach? The bird in the pic in the window is looking out from below but at night, they all huddle in a corner together. Makes no sense unless it is a person doing it. I actually have a security camera that points to the coops from my porch but my Lilac bush got really full this year & I can't see everything down there. Its getting cut today...over half of the bush is going!

9. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oh that is so awful, I am so sorry. Could it be rats? I heard they will chew like that.
    I am so, so sorry for you [​IMG]

10. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Oh and Im in the country with a couple of houses across the street but not too close. Also no locks on the coops...but will be now. How would a person rip a beak off? So sick!!! open the coop, rip off the beak, put chicken back in coop...close coop! HOW SICK!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by