PLEASE HELP ME! Face being eaten? Beaks gone???? Help! GRAPHIC PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smokin Silkies, Jun 16, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Until you figure out what is going on, I would put hardware cloth over the windows.

2. Southwind

Southwind Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    That chicken wire is plenty big enough for a rat to get through. get some hardware cloth (really fine mesh wire and put it everywhere you have that chicken wire.

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Yep and do it today or keep the silkies somewhere else until you can.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am more inclined to think animal not person and I also think the chicken wire is part of the problem. Get that covered quickly. Chicken wire is one of the most common denominators when people have predator problems. Hardward cloth is by far much safer.

Also make sure there are no other holes anything could get through such as those vents up under the eaves.
    sharon

5. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Yep and do it today or keep the silkies somewhere else until you can.

X2

6. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Ok..but why would they only tear the face off of one chicken, leave no evidence? Wouldn't a predator eat or try to kill all of them? I do have hardware cloth I'll be putting up today also

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

As someone else said it's not viral or bacterial because it wouldn't move that fast and you would be infected by now. A predator could easily reach thru your chicken wire window, but not sure they would want to stay suspended hanging with one arm. There would also be some damage or at least bending of the chicken wire. If a raccoon could get close enought to grab or bite, your chicken would be dead or at least more damage than just having the beak removed. Most predators would do the opposite of what is happening, rip the head or face off and leave it and take and eat the body.

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have no idea but unless you see evidence of it you have to kind of step by step eliminate possibilites and chicken wire is a factor in a high percentage of problems in the predator section. I so hope you can figure it out or at least prevent any more...I cannot imagine the horror you faced.
    Good luck!
    sharon

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I. would. DIE. if. i. saw. that. [​IMG]

Poor things! [​IMG]

10. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:It does seem odd that it is only the beaks. Do you see any holes or anything where they are laying at night??? It could be that the beak is the only thing a predator can grab at???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by